Should I change DNS Or Transfer Domain?? And- Exactly how do I do this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sindee75
    Sergeant

• Dec 2010

Should I change DNS Or Transfer Domain?? And- Exactly how do I do this??

Hello,

I have looked thru these forums and cannot really find the pro's and con's of changing the DNS or transfering my domain to Vodahost. Can someone please explain..

1.) What are the pros and cons?

2.) I currently have hosting with Yahoo and they use Melbourne IT as the Domain Registar. If I choose to point DNS, do I do this within Yahoo's hosting panel or contact their registar - Melbourne?

3.) Or - do I point the DNS in Vodahost Cpanel?

4.) If I point DNS to Vodahost, who's hosting Cpanel will I use? Will there be two of them? Vodahost and Yahoo? I have read on these forums someone saying if you point dns, you will have an additional hosting panel.. HUH?.. Confused..

Thanks,

Cindy
  • VodaHost
    General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Re: Should I change DNS Or Transfer Domain?? And- Exactly how do I do this??

one sec and i will answer

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• VodaHost
      General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

the fastest and easist thing to do is contact the company that controls your domain name and ask them to update your dns...some of them have control panel (Like vodahost) where you can do it yourself...

Please click the below...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

If you transfer, you will be billed by VodaHost for BOTH the hosting and the Domain name renewal.
        If you point the DNS, you will be billed by VodaHost for the hosting and by your own registrar for the Domain Name.

In both cases you have two separate control panels:

One for the Hosting Account, and one for the Domain Name.

So even if you transfer to VodaHost, you will have a CPanel for the hosting account and a separate one (in this case, within the VodaHost Billing Services section) where you will be managing your DNS and the financial aspects of your account.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• sindee75
          Sergeant

• Dec 2010

Thank you both for your replies.

Are there any REAL disadvantages or advantages effecting SEO?

Example, Yahoo has a google page rank of a 9. Vodahost has a google page rank of a 5. Would Google place MORE IMPORTANCE on hosting with a company that has a higher page rank?

Will transferring domain effect our site/keyword rankings with google?

Am I better off to just point the DSN because of the above??

Got to admit, these are good questions! All answers and opinions are more than welcome!

Thanks,

Cindy

Comment

• navaldesign
            General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Cindy,

I believe that you are in a bit of confussion.

Yahoo's or VodaHost's rank has NOTHING to do with the customers sites rank!
            Google and other SEs do NOT consider at all where you host
            Transfer will affect your rank (not your keywords....) depending on what YOU DO. That is, WHAT your site content is, IF you use the correct SEO techniques, IF your site is better or worse compared to your competitors (people that use the same keywords), IF your site is correctly structured, and so.

And Transfer or DNS also has NOTHING to do with the above......
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• sindee75
              Sergeant

• Dec 2010

Thank you for your clarifications.

I think what I will do is point the DNS for now. Yahoo gave me instructions and says it takes 72 hours.

My domain is up for renewal in 06/2011. Will I be able to transfer it to Vodahost then???

I assume that after pointing the dns, waiting the 72 hours and everything is propogated to VodaHost, I would then cancel my yahoo hosting account and just use VodaHost?? Is this correct???

Thanks,

Cindy

Comment

Working...
              X