How to transfer to VH and replace an exisiting website with a new bluevoda site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clarissa
    Private

• Dec 2011

How to transfer to VH and replace an exisiting website with a new bluevoda site?

Hi all, advice needed please. I have been approached by a company asking me to create a new website (with BlueVoda) to replace the one they curently have, but they want to keep the same domain name. I have all their current 'whois' info and have read up on how to transfer the domain to VH. I also have plenty of experience creating BV sites, but I have never had to take a site down that is registered and hosted elsewhere and replace it from scratch keeping the same domain name....HELP please!! They want to keep the existing site live until the new bluevoda site is completely ready. Step by step advice would be hugely appreciated, as I don't want to muck this up!! Many thanks in advance, Clare
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: How to transfer to VH and replace an exisiting website with a new bluevoda site?

1. Have them purchase a VH account.
    2. You will receive the login details info, among which the IP address to use
    3. In your BV pages, use relative links (that is, instead of http://www.domain.com/contact.php use simply "contact.php" ). This way you will be able to see the new domain alive by using, in your browser address bar, http://IPaddress/~cpusername/ where IPadress is your actual IP address.
    4. Publish your BV pages in the VH account

When done, you need to enter the control panel of their registrar, and change the DNS (domain name servers) to point to the ones of the VH account. When DNS propagation is complete, all visitors will automatically "see" the new domain.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• clarissa
      Private

• Dec 2011

Re: How to transfer to VH and replace an exisiting website with a new bluevoda site?

Thank you so much for your reply. 3 things to clarify please:
      1. I already have a VH account, so I can use the same IP address as for my previous BV sites I presume?
      2. Does this mean then that I don't actually have to transfer the domain name to VH, if I'm understanding you correctly?
      3. Once DNS propagation is complete, when a visitor types in the original URL, it will be the new site that they see?

Apologies if I'm being a bit dense, but it's soooo important that I get this right :)

Thanks again, Clare

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

1. No, you are not allowed to host a third party site on your account, this is considered resale and your account could be immediately shut down without any notice.
        2. You can either transfer, or simply point the domain name servers (DNS)
        3. Yes
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
        X