• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John K.
    Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

2 similar sites. Any problems? - Part 2

On the original thread, there is information that has caused me to contact customer support and request that my newly purchased domain name be converted to a separate Web-Hosting account with VodaHost with primary domain name progressvisa.com

As I understood that post, I had originally had the progressvisa.com as an add-on domain for the root progresslanguage.com, and these two sites would be very similar in content. The only difference being that progressvisa would sell tourist visas, and progresslanguage would sell student visas. This is extremely important to keep these two separate here to avoid problems with immigration and the ministry of education.

So, I thought I had everything pretty well figured out. I even had read up on creating an Htaccess code to cover duplicate content problem... until I read what Vasili said about interlinking between a root and an add-on domain and getting dinged hard by Google on the outbound and inbound links. It was this one small thing that threw a wrench in my plans. I simply did not know this until that moment.

So, since I will definitely need to link these two services between each others respective websites, I will need to get a totally separate web-hosting account with progressvisa being a primary, yes?

My question is, with this set-up, it will then be OK to link between the two sites without any problem?

Thank you.
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: 2 similar sites. Any problems? - Part 2

In the instance you referred to, both the Primary and Add-on Domains suffered devastating penalty, and I am pretty sure they are still in place.

As I mentioned, since the major Google revision of April 2012, most of the previous "common" SEO devices and methods have been rendered redundant or non-conforming (thus subject to penalty, even for being 'over-optimized'), including htaaccess methods and implementations ... there is no work-around or short-cut to avoid duplicate Content (never was, only a thinly veiled diffusion).

Bottom line, you are correct ... having separate accounts will safeguard your Domains from such 'interlinking' penalization.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• John K.
      Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Re: 2 similar sites. Any problems? - Part 2

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
      In the instance you referred to, both the Primary and Add-on Domains suffered devastating penalty, and I am pretty sure they are still in place.

As I mentioned, since the major Google revision of April 2012, most of the previous "common" SEO devices and methods have been rendered redundant or non-conforming (thus subject to penalty, even for being 'over-optimized'), including htaaccess methods and implementations ... there is no work-around or short-cut to avoid duplicate Content (never was, only a thinly veiled diffusion).

Bottom line, you are correct ... having separate accounts will safeguard your Domains from such 'interlinking' penalization.
      Thank you. I am now in the process of making these two domain names separate entities so that I can link them back and forth and avoid Google penalties.

Comment

Working...
      X