Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domain Names purchased and not sure what to do with them (PART TWO)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Names purchased and not sure what to do with them (PART TWO)

"3. Do not create 301-redirects, but rather choose one of the following 2 methods: A. At the Domain cPanel, FORWARD the Domain that is deemed "lesser" to your Main Domain, for in this way there is not negative SEO affect upon any domain at all, since all metrics are attribute to the Destination Domain, not to a Domain that has no site or other characteristic associated with it; B. Create a single-page "referral" website for each secondary Domain, inviting visitors to proceed to your Main site. Also on this single page portal, you can have some AdSense placed to captialize on the potential divergence of traffic to earn some revenue. This minimal content and a single "outbound link" to your Main website is not enough to create a violation, and by the addition of AdSense, you will contribute to a more dynamic Content aspect that will diminish the fact you are promoting an outbound link yourself.
    * If your Domains are generic, normally occurring terms or relevant words-based, forwarding the to a Main Domain if not in use is a smart way to "activate" them as far as Search goes (as they will come up if the User types in similar words or phrases) and can then provide an additional degree of referring traffic organically to your site."
    To Vasili...sincere apologies for not THANKING you since I opened a thread in March. I thought I would get an instant
    response via my email but that didnt happen hence have forgotten about it. So sorry but I appreciate it very much.

I have a silly question to ask re above your suggestion. The secondary domain is weddingphotographerdublin.com. I like the idea of part B so do I transfer the domain into my hosting account where my main domain is hosted and park it under my main domain and then create a page using bluevoda or wordpress or something else? Sorry about the questions. Just want to put it right. Thanks again for your help.

Re: Domain Names purchased and not sure what to do with them (PART TWO)

No problem ... (and thank you for your kindness) ... I had expected a reply, but the rude thread interruption by another Member was enough for me to forget about the 'unfinished thread' also.

It really is important to review the original post in it's entirety first:
    Originally posted by Vasili View Post
    Yes, it is true that having multiple domains in the same hosting account present some peculiar Rules that must be followed so as not to fall into disfavor by the Search Engines, but they are not difficult to comply with at all. Some posts have already been made that clearly demonstrate the same concerns that puzzle you, and reviewing them may help provide some understanding. Here are the basics:

1. Do not create multiple sites for the same business, as this invariably creates "duplicate content' and is one of the most serious SE offenses that will result in severe penalties. Some have tried to skirt the issue by creating websites with as much as 60% all-new and unique content (a much less degree of "uniqueness" than even required page-to-page within a single site - the Rule is each page must be at least 80-85% unique), but eventually discovered that they were penalized by the Search Engines on ALL sites nonetheless, the majority of them penalized permanently (on each Domain, not website). Multiple Sites For Same Business?

2. Do not create links between sites in the same hosting account, whether or not you feel there is significant relevance between them or not. Invariably also, such practices are clearly "interlinking" in the least and "bowling" in the worst, and all such linking strategies will be evaluated as "Black Hat SEO" methods by the SE's immediately, especially since the sites are withion a single hosting account and share an IP address. Linking Between Sites | Link Types | Sites Penalized | Black Hat SEO to Avoid

3. Do not create 301-redirects, but rather choose one of the following 2 methods: A. At the Domain cPanel, FORWARD the Domain that is deemed "lesser" to your Main Domain, for in this way there is not negative SEO affect upon any domain at all, since all metrics are attribute to the Destination Domain, not to a Domain that has no site or other characteristic associated with it; B. Create a single-page "referral" website for each secondary Domain, inviting visitors to proceed to your Main site. Also on this single page portal, you can have some AdSense placed to captialize on the potential divergence of traffic to earn some revenue. This minimal content and a single "outbound link" to your Main website is not enough to create a violation, and by the addition of AdSense, you will contribute to a more dynamic Content aspect that will diminish the fact you are promoting an outbound link yourself.
    * If your Domains are generic, normally occurring terms or relevant words-based, forwarding the to a Main Domain if not in use is a smart way to "activate" them as far as Search goes (as they will come up if the User types in similar words or phrases) and can then provide an additional degree of referring traffic organically to your site.
    AND .... then back to your additional inquiry ....

In fact (however the strong the attraction to potentially generate a few coin by adding AdSense), since the domains are not complimentary and the second shall be added to your single hosting account as an Add-On Domain, it is best all-around for you to simply leave the Domain where it is Registered (no need to transfer it) and opt to implement suggestion 3a ... you should FORWARD all traffic to your first Domain without creating a single searchable aspect for seamless avoidance of any possible SE penalty.

IMO, that is.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi Vasili thanks so much for giving me advice on this and yes I think that's a better way of doing it. Now I am confused....how to forward the domain? I cannot find the info in tutorials etc.

Do I update the dns name server to voda?
      In cPanel under domains what do I click on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way what does IMO stand for?

Thanks

Comment

"IMO" = In My Opinion

You FORWARD the Domain in the Domain Control Panel at wherever you purchased the Domain, wherever the Domain still sits ... if you purchased it through VodaHost, you will need to access the Domain Control Panel at eNom (the actual seller -- the Registrar --of the Domain) just as detailed in the Domain Purchase Invoice you received upon initial purchase ..... if you purchased it from another place, you need to access it there in their Domain Control Panel (which is different than your hosting cPanel).

Remember, you will FORWARD the Domain to your existing domain.

Comment

Ah ok thanks. I went into the registrar and found "forwarding" so all I need to do is type main domain address and leave the "Update my DNS settings to support this change. (Recommended)" ticked? I assume it means using voda dns?

Also I noted about forwarding with masking? Do you think it is a good idea to do that as if I select it then the address bar would display my main domain address instead of weddingphotographerdublin.com? And if it is a good idea I could enter meta tags for the title, description and keyword.

I appreciate your help again.

Comment

Since there is no "wedding" website, when you forward the domain, traffic will be immediately delivered to another website, which is the URL that will display in the browser addressbar. There is nothing to "mask" and nothing to "avoid" by forwarding this domain simply and without over-thinking yourself into absurdity.

The only META you should be creating is for the website you wish to promote: there simply is not META for a domain that has no website ...

Comment

Working...
            X