Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Carts (Soho,OSC) Be Shared by Add-Ons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Carts (Soho,OSC) Be Shared by Add-Ons?

I understand the difference between Add-On Domains and Sub-Directory Domains, but going further, can a cart be "shared"?

For instance: I have Site A and Site B, both of which need to be ranked/searched, and maintain their own mail accounts, etc. Each sells merchandise, and although the items overlap in some areas, a good portion is unique to each site. Thus, the need for a monster cart like OSC.

I would like to set up Site A as the Primary account domain, and Site B as an "Add-On" domain to that account, thus preserving the indentity of each and the functions they depend on, like email, SEO rank, etc. Is it possible to load one OSC cart to that account (designing it more 'generic' along the theme established between Site A and Site B for visual compatibility) and have each domain independently "share" the same cart??

This would eliminate the need to duplicate the development, maintenence, and updating of 2 shopping cart systems, and also unify similar web functions in one account. *Expected size of sites is not an issue, and if bandwidth becomes too much, THEN it would be easy enough to 'clone' into 2 distinct accounts.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Re: Can Carts (Soho,OSC) Be Shared by Add-Ons?

(Sorry!)

PS: I forgot to mention that to make it really easy, the front end of these two sites would be BV8 created, linking to the cart in the traditional established manner......

Comment

Hi Vassili,

you have mail.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Ευχαριστώ!

Comment

For the rest of us, this is what I have learned so far:

Yes, Add-On domains are different than Sub-Domains, in that Add-On domains are able to be indexed/searched/ranked by SE's as normal (sub-domains are not searchable, as they are in a sub-folder of another domain), and that they too automatically create a sub-folder in the account to contain specific "pages" to be presented by the server on which it is hosted. This clears up the seemingly confusing usages of the terms "Add-On" and "Sub-Domain".....

Yes, Add-On Domains can "share" a cart with "Primary" Domains as a function, as long as the cart uses a template of it's own and remains 'self-contained'....in other words, I can point each independent domain to the cart's home page for shoppers to use, BUT > if you want shoppers to be able to "Return" to the original site they entered from, in actuality, the cart would have 3 "Home Pages": 1. the REAL home page, which would not be used; 2. an interior page made to look like a "Home" page for Site A, and all subsequent pages following a linked pages system for Site A; and 3. a second interior page to mimic the same as #2 above for Site B...

AND, (this again is providing I can design and implement a Template for the cart that fits the look and feel for both Domains without looking too foreign from either design) this template would propagate throughout the cart. ** One question still remains unanswered: since the cart is not officially "linked" to a domain, does the php merchandise itemization and "content" descriptions still count toward SE ranking, or is all "Content" contained in the cart lost in 'ghostland'???

ADDITIONALLY, adding Post Affiliate Pro to this one shopping cart, also in this one account, is possible and much easier to manage than two separate accounts and two separate PAP programs, because:
          1. Having one cart that is not limited to inventory size of categories (OSC) can handle the scope required for 2 different stores, whether or not some products "overlap", making it easier to update one cart rather than two;
          2. Since each domain "points" to an interior page that mimics a "Home" page to control interior navigation and return to the BV8 Front-end, the same guidance applies to the merchandise "search"...meaning, whatever you offer up for sale on the Site A 'side' of pages within the cart can be tracked by category (widget A is available only from site a, and widget 14 only is mentioned on site b);
          3. PAP can create/offer/track/pay whatever banners specified, another way to track which domain is selling what. Since referrals are made from the pages of specific "stores" to the program itself, some Affiliates might not even be aware of Program B. for instance. And, likewise, Affiliates enrolled in Program A might want to also join Program B!! >PAP can track however wide your program is accurately and with detail.
          >>>>> The only parameter is only one PAP per Cart, per Account....

The whole intent was to minimize the constant updates to a cart chock full of tens of thousands of items, with many categories and umpteen price adjustment rules....have one Affiliate program to promote everything (simplify the accounting), and make it as idiot proof as possible, as I am wiped out when it comes to doing the reconcilations on top of everything else!!!

If this doesn't work after all, I will have to convince General VodaHost to bust my stripes back down to Corporal, as I will undoubtedly re-earn rank with all the subsequesnt questions and incessant postings that will result from going back to square one and setting everything up dedicated to single VH accounts!!!!

Comment

Vasili, I can't remember off-hand who it is - but they have about 15 stores - and make sure all their stores have one parent name that is obvious on their stores - all stores go to a shopping cart built on a website with the parent name - so someone can actually buy from all 15 stores at the same time.

It's something I've considered - but there are also pitfalls to it. I'm thinking of experimenting with it on a family of similar stores I have - which will be being built on BV later this year. It is an interesting premise - but if you are using a merchant account - it's very important to realize you have to make sure you give them accurate information as to your average ticket price and what you expect your monthly sales to be.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth-

The accounting end (my merchant processor) isn't a significant factor in setting up the model I described, as they are tickled at whatever I am up to: I currently have a discount rate of 1.62% V/MC/D and 3% Amex, and they gave me a gateway to use -free- so they will have something to showcase and pitch to others after I'm done. I am already one of their top producers....

It was keeping previously ranked domains in the SE lineup with their mail functions intact, and hooking them up to a unified cart capable of handling the volume anticipated (necessitating OSC) so I could streamline the cart maintinence. That was why Add-on vs. Sub-domain was the core question, and why the secondary question remains unanswered: since the cart is not specifically "linked" to a domain by traditional use of a dedicated template (acting rather as a background fulfillment function), will the merchandise and textual "content" be searchable/indexable by the SE's as would any other php dynamic cart page??

If not, then I will be required to set up one account per core domain with a dedicated templated cart and independent PAP programs.....something that will be cumbersome to say the least! True, I can load a redundant cart in an account (that really isn't using the cart) as a "Master" and then clone/upload to the other carts that are in use to minimize the process, but the fact remains having separate PAP programs presents it's own accounting and orgainzational nightmares.

I am one to draw out the schematics of my sites to address all the issues that I face as not only an ongoing business, but to avoid all the pratfalls that would cost me so much more time and overwhelming frustration. I just want to get it right before I start carving the stone....

Comment

Working...
              X