Confused about "subdomains" or "add on"use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about "subdomains" or "add on"use

I am still setting up my new site 21stwebsite.com which offers products to the medical transcritpion industry. I have reconditioned call in systems for docs and trans companies and would like to have reciprocal links to and from a friend's site. However he has many of the same competing products so I would like to have a "landing page" (if this is the right term) that only displays product info for my call in systems and will not allow any linking to my regular site where viewers from his site could see our competing products. Do I need to set up a 'subdomain" for this or an 'add on" domain or can i just have the landng-page-only link but no links to my real home page, etc.? there would only be an e-mail and 800 number contact from this page. As you can see I am a newbie here....

Thanks in advance as I am sure this is an easy thing to do that I am over thinking or something.

Dick Cummins

Re: Confused about "subdomains" or "add on"use

Your best bet, in order to keep it totally seperate from your other site, is to set up an add-on domain. You will have to purchase an additional domain name.

If you use a subdomain your URL would look like www.subdomain.maindomain.com If, however, you use an add-on it appears as a totally seperate site: www.subdomain.com

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Girl:

Thanks for the advice.....I was thinking the the "Add Domain" would be a good solution so I went to the control panel after viewing the video for adding.....I added "21callin.com" which said it had to go in html_ftp/.....I belieive I am supposed to register the 21callin.com only and then create a new index file (BVD) and then change the FTP "publish" path to /ftp_html/21callin.com as the targer for the new index file. Then all .jpgs additional pages.html will be saved into this folder for viewing by anyone clicking on just "21callin.com" but they will not see the 21stwebsite.com "root?" site in the path??? Is this close to what really will happen?

Thanks again!

Dick Cummins

Comment

Yes, Dick.
        You will need to add the sub-domain 21callin.com via your CP, which creates a new "folder" in your VH account (your main account area, or root directory, is called public_html/).

You will need to manually create a new folder in your BV folder (which you'll find in My Documents on your HD), naming it the same as the sub you created via CP.....you can easily create and name this new folder in your main BV Folder via Explorer, like any other Windows function.

**Remember to name your "landing" or Portal page index and to save it to this new sub-folder before publishing.

When you publish, simply add the sub-domain in the dialog box thus: public_html/21callin and you should be set!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks...things are clearing up but....i have created and registered the subdomain 21callin.com and entered it in the FTP manager on my CP. I didn't know that you had to make the 21callin folder in VB but did that and copied the jpg files and other stuff into it including the new "index.bvd" that I jinned up. However, when I try to publish, I keep getting the error "Prohibited file name "/21callin.com". Isn't the subdomain supposed to be in /public_html/21callin.com or is the sub just supposed to be 21callin no .com?

Also I see in my FTP manager that the address for 21callin is "21callin@21stwebsite.com" Do I have to put this in to access the FTP transfer to my sub? Really confused here as i have tried to publish with every set of callins varieations I can think of..

Thanks a again for the great help!
          Dick Cummins

Comment

Whoa there.....
            have you created a NEW ADDON domain called 21callin.com ?
            if so then what is the folder named as ???

If the new folder was called 21callin then
            you publish your index page to public_html/21callin

and your new site address will be http://21callin.com

hope this clears the air a little
            Have fun
            Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
            Newbies / Beginners Forum
            FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
            My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
            Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Originally posted by Foxcraft
              However, when I try to publish, I keep getting the error "Prohibited file name "/21callin.com". A. Isn't the subdomain supposed to be in /public_html/21callin.com or is the sub just supposed to be 21callin no .com?
              B. Also I see in my FTP manager that the address for 21callin is "21callin@21stwebsite.com" Do I have to put this in to access the FTP transfer to my sub? Thanks a again for the great help!
              Dick Cummins
              A. public_html/21callin
              B. @ should be a period....this @ indicates an email function/association, not an IP (internet protocol) address. Re-do your entry, not "second guessing" the computer fields which will automatically complete the extensions, etc.
              Your sub-domain address should look like: www.21callin.21stwebsite.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                A. public_html/21callin
                B. @ should be a period....this @ indicates an email function/association, not an IP (internet protocol) address. Re-do your entry, not "second guessing" the computer fields which will automatically complete the extensions, etc.
                Your sub-domain address should look like: www.21callin.21stwebsite.com
                21callin@21stwebsite.com is not the address, but the username that you need to use in order to publish. When you create a username for the addon or the subdomain, CP automatically adds the "@yourmaindomain,com" extension. So, just go on and use it. Or, just use your main account username and password to publish. Please have a look at: Publishing in a Subdomain or Subfolder . You will see that there are two options:

1 Username 21callin@21website.com , the password is what you have set it to be, and the Folder field must
                remain empty.

2. Username: your main account username password: your main account password Folder "public_html/21callin"
                Navaldesign
                Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Psfignomen....
                  I have never seen an "@" in any of the CP generated processes during the establishing of any of my 6 sub-domains, General.....nor in any of the printouts I have stored to document each setup.

If he is doing an "add-on" domain, I cannot address the issue, for I do not have the personal experience, but if we are dealing with a "sub-domain" set up, I must repectfully reiterate my specified advisements.....ntaxi, parakalo?

Comment

Addon domains and subdomains are ALWAYS subsections of the main account. Seen form this point of vew, the FTP accounts created in CP for the sub (or addon) domains are always referd to the main account, that's why the username is converted in username@maindomain.com . Publishing in subdomains or addondomains: please have a look at Publishing in a Subdomain or Subfolder

Ofcourse, as mentioned already, he can ALSO publish directly using his main account credentials, simply placing "public_html/subfoldername" in the Folder field.

FYI: Sorry: in Greek, Signomin, not Psfignomen. ntaxi = entaxi
                    Navaldesign
                    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Naval...I'll bone up on the methodology and the generated syntax messages.

And...I appreciate your wink on my Greeklish....

Comment

ok

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks to all but still confused!!! I assume that when you got to "pubish" you must have "Saved as" your .bvd s into (in my case) a new folder in BV "Sub4Callin" so when you click "publish" the files are sent from the folder you are working in at the time? I have tried all combos of the advice and after looking at the linked help on subdomains, etc., I see uising WS-FTP that my index.html and other jpg's and one linked page (faq_callin.html) are all in the subfolder I created (21stwebsite/callin). However when I try to access my add-on domain in either FireFox or IE, (type http://21callin.com) I get a sort of placeholder dialog box with adds.

So I went back to Vodahost.com's Select Domain Name and see that my callin.com is listed as registered, but when I click on "www" I get the same place holder screen and when i click "Whois" it just displays "Available" and nothing more. So if all my files are in the 21stwebiste/callin and have been converted from .bvd to html, how come no luck? Must i do something else to "activate" my add-on domain. Vodahost has sent me the e-mail payment reciept for 21callin.com.

Also, can't I just use my normal ID/PW and just add the /21callin folder name to the publish path of .../public-html/21callin to get my .bvd files converted into html's and copied to the /21callin folder on the site? I think I must have doen something like this in trying many iteration/variations of paths, etc., trying to publish but of course do not know which it would have been as I tried to access my 21callin site after each attemp but no luck even though my files are there and appear to be in correct format.

Thanks again...you guys are great!

Green----Dick Cummins

Comment

]Thanks to all but still confused!!! I assume that when you got to "pubish" you must have "Saved as" your .bvd s into (in my case) a new folder in BV "Sub4Callin" so when you click "publish" the files are sent from the folder you are working in at the time?

Correct. This way your subdomain pages are kept separate from your main site pages.

I have tried all combos of the advice and after looking at the linked help on subdomains, etc., I see uising WS-FTP that my index.html and other jpg's and one linked page (faq_callin.html) are all in the subfolder I created (21stwebsite/callin).

However when I try to access my add-on domain in either FireFox or IE, (type http://21callin.com) I get a sort of placeholder dialog box with adds.

Did you change the nameservers to point to your Vodahost account servers ?

So I went back to Vodahost.com's Select Domain Name and see that my callin.com is listed as registered, but when I click on "www" I get the same place holder screen and when i click "Whois" it just displays "Available" and nothing more.

Because the registration is not complete yet

So if all my files are in the 21stwebiste/callin and have been converted from .bvd to html, how come no luck? Must i do something else to "activate" my add-on domain. Vodahost has sent me the payment reciept for 21callin.com.

Change the nameservers
                            Navaldesign

Comment

When I go to the Domain Name server url, it asks me for my Id/PW....I enter the ones I have for 21stwebsite.com but am refused. If I without realinzing it, entered a different ID or PW when setting up add-on domain name in my CP, where can I find this? It was several days ago and I can't recall what I did as when i look at the FTP manager I see only 21callin@21stwebsite.com.

DC

Comment

Working...
                              X