• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BaggyDave
    Private First Class

• Jul 2007

Email and PHPBB

Hi just a quick question regarding Email and PHPBB

I run quite a large PHPBB now do the emails that are generated automatically when someone replies to a thread that those users are subscribed to go towards the limit of emails allowed per hour if so why is this restricted so much as I could easily top that with a thread with say 100 people subscribed to ? imagine two or three threads like this and bang over the limit quite easily ?

Now I would hardly class my Forum as massive it is for a gaming clan with 600 ish members.

Thanks in advance
  • Watdaflip
    Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: Email and PHPBB

You can request to have the limit raised if you submit a support ticket. The reason its limited is for spam issues. Also to an extent system resources. If you are sending thousands an hour your going to use a lot of system resources. Share hosting isn't meant to have one site using more then its fair share all the time.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• BaggyDave
      Private First Class

• Jul 2007

I am not planning on sending thousands an hour but I may trip the current limit from time to time due to the nature of phpbb I will submit a support ticket and see what is said

I am willing to purchase another system to use smtp if needed but this is essential otherwise the hosting is pretty much worthless

Is there anyway of monitoring emails via phpbb that are sent out to give me an idea ?

- - - -

if you think about this it would only take 1 person posting on a few threads to hit the 200 mark if those threads had a high number of posters

Comment

• Watdaflip
        Major General

• Sep 2005

There might be a phpbb modification to record how many emails are sent. I don't believe there is anything in cpanel to keep track of them.

Although, as someone who has used forums for over half a decade. I have never once had my forum account setup to email me with new threads/posts.

If you have a whole lot of users who do like being notified of new posts to specific threads there might be a phpbb modification to track these.. I know vB has this feature built in, people can subscribe to threads and in the usercp is will list new posts to the threads that one subscribes to

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
        X