• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyberShot
    First Sergeant

• Jan 2007

new website

Hello. i do not have a domain name yet. I am going to be building a website for a new biz my roomate is setting up. it's an event planning company. here's my question

I just downloaded the blueVoda webpage builder program last night. i have watched every tutorial and there are some things i don't understand. for example.
    The tuts say that you can press the preview button to view your webpage. when i do that, it launches in my browser. that's cool. but i set up a second page and put a menu bar on the left and tried to link the button to the second page. the first page called index as per the tutorial and the second page i called video_tutorials. my question would be. can i hit that preview button and see everything work. or do i need to publish the page inorder to get it all up and working?
    2. Why does the tut say to call the first page index. if i was building a website and publishing it. wouldn't it be www.creativeeventplanning/video_tutorials to link the page? The tutorials leave our alot for the beginner. but i am hopeing to learn alot here.
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: new website

No, you can't click on the links of unpublished pages to see the links work - as the browser can't call up a page that doesn't exist. You can preview both pages separately, though.

Your home page should be simply www.creativeenventplanning.com - if that's the domain you buy. But you must name it index to publish just the home page. All other pages will be named whatever you want and if you named one video_tutorials - then that page would be
    www.creativeeventplanning.com/video_tuturials.html

I suggest you might want to watch them more than once :)
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• LadyEye
      General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by CyberShot
      Hello. i do not have a domain name yet. I am going to be building a website for a new biz my roomate is setting up. it's an event planning company.

Hi there

Just a thought, as you build your website without your domain name, just be certain your name is available and will be, it would be a shame to build your site inserting all of the links as the domain name you want and then you were unable to get it right??

here's my question

I just downloaded the blueVoda webpage builder program last night. i have watched every tutorial and there are some things i don't understand. for example.
      The tuts say that you can press the preview button to view your webpage. when i do that, it launches in my browser. that's cool. but i set up a second page and put a menu bar on the left and tried to link the button to the second page. the first page called index as per the tutorial and the second page i called video_tutorials. my question would be. can i hit that preview button and see everything work. or do i need to publish the page inorder to get it all up and working?

You can also preview the 2nd page in your browser, but the linking will not work until you actually purchase an account and publish your site ...

2. Why does the tut say to call the first page index. if i was building a website and publishing it. wouldn't it be www.creativeeventplanning/video_tutorials to link the page? The tutorials leave our alot for the beginner. but i am hopeing to learn alot here.

The index page is the landing page for your domain name ... it must be called this. You can then name any of your other pages anything that you like .... (all small letters, no spaces) name, save, publish as the same.

If your website is Creative Event Planning, that would be your domain name, that would be how people find you .... keep in mind, you can title your pages anything you like, (not the same as naming them) To title your pages, in page properties, you will see Title area, this can be what relates to the content on that exact page .... (totally different than naming, saving and publishing)

You will only need to advance from one tutorial to the other to see how all the elements of your site unfold in the blue voda webbuilder ... You will like it .... ask questions as you go ... you will do great.

Good Luck

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• CyberShot
        First Sergeant

• Jan 2007

ok, i think that answers my question. now i was looking into having voda host my site. do you know of what it cost to do that. the page said 7.95 a month. i thought that was cheap. is there any other cost i need to look at. and when you do publish a page, that meanst that i have to buy the domain name. then set up the account and start paying right off. or do they waite until the page is online and ready to go. is there an amount of time they give you to build it. i guess i should ask these questions seperatley so i can climb in rank huh?

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

View this thread, there are several options, you can even get a free domain name with the right plan, pretty good deal ....

Whatever rate plan you choose, begins the day you purchase it .... no practice time, lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• CyberShot
            First Sergeant

• Jan 2007

thanks LadyEye...I am trying to learn how to build webpages for many reasons. i am also a gamer and i want to make a website for video game design wich is something i do for fun. I am makeing maps for call of duty 2. it's alot of fun. so after i help my friend with her site, i am going to make a game site. something like this. www.asp-gamers.com this is my teams site for call of duty 2

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by CyberShot
              thanks LadyEye...I am trying to learn how to build webpages for many reasons. i am also a gamer and i want to make a website for video game design wich is something i do for fun. I am makeing maps for call of duty 2. it's alot of fun. so after i help my friend with her site, i am going to make a game site. something like this. www.asp-gamers.com this is my teams site for call of duty 2

Awe very cool Cybershot, you will be plenty busy ... you have certainly chosen the right place to come ... seriously, you will love it,

And taking your time with the tutorials, asking questions, will give you such a great foundation when you are ready to publish ...

You are on the right track!!

Welcome, and you are welcome!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• luvic.dreams@shaw.ca
                Private First Class

• Nov 2007

Hi

I'm new at this and need some help please. I've published my website www.mannatruckerbiz.com and after 72 hours I'm still not able to view it on the browser. Wondering what I left out and need to do. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sincerely Wiecher Ten Veen

Comment

• CyberShot
                  First Sergeant

• Jan 2007

you need to name your page index.html that's why it's not showing up. rename you page and then publish again.

Comment

• judavvforum
                    Major

• Nov 2007

Being a noobie myself; I can tell you that confusing "naming" & "titles" will be the root of most of your problems as you start learning.

(Yes, I watched, rewatched and watched the tuts! But, "naming" will be confusing for you!

What gave me the most trouble was that I thought that I could assign any name to my files on my computer and could select them and publish under that name! Of course, when I went on line; the only page I could see was the "index" page! That's only because there was so much instruction on that particular naming point; that I saved that page,(on my computer), with the right "name"!

So, make sure that you save your pages,(on your computer), with the proper page "naming" format. (NO .html or .php) in the name that you save on your computer! Only those extensions are used in the "page properties" window.
                    This is what I found out the hard way....hope this is accurate!
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X