• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neale
    Staff Sergeant

• Jan 2006

Best font to use on a web site

Hi, I don't know if I am posting this in the correct forum but hope someone may be able to help me.

I have seen lots of web sites and noticed that some of them use different main fonts, Ariel,Verana etc.
    Can anyone advise me as to which is the best font to use.

Neale
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: Best font to use on a web site

Any of them that are universally web friendly.
    A list with the common fonts to all versions of Windows and their Mac equivalents, useful when creating websites.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Neale
      Staff Sergeant

• Jan 2006

Many thanks Beth - The main reason I asked is that I have to add Vietnamese language pges to the site and they use a lot more words than we do to actually say something.
      Once again thanks

Neale

Comment

• limebrook1
        Brigadier General

• Jun 2005

I once read an article saying Verdana was easiest to read, so I personally use that as I also feel it is friendly on the eye.

More important that font type to my mind is the colours used. Often people go for snazzy backgrounds which look great, but you can't read at all! I don't spend long on these sites!

I once went to a site that had great info, but because of the background I couldn't read the words at all - I needed the info and ended up having to print it out in order to read it!

So, clear dark font on a light uncluttered background would be my advice.
        Trish
        www.Limebrook.com
        www.MountainWalk.co.uk
        www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
        www.TucsonForBeginners.com
        www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

• racefan20
          Major General

• Jul 2005

Originally posted by limebrook1
          I once read an article saying Verdana was easiest to read, so I personally use that as I also feel it is friendly on the eye.

More important that font type to my mind is the colours used. Often people go for snazzy backgrounds which look great, but you can't read at all! I don't spend long on these sites!

I once went to a site that had great info, but because of the background I couldn't read the words at all - I needed the info and ended up having to print it out in order to read it!

So, clear dark font on a light uncluttered background would be my advice.
          Advice that should he heeded by anyone, Trish! Too many people mess up an otherwise nice site by placing light text over a dark background or over images with varying colors. It makes the text very difficult to read and I, like you, quickly find my way out of the site.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

• Neale
            Staff Sergeant

• Jan 2006

Thanks to you all for your advice - well noted as I have now changed all my font type to Verdana. Once again many thanks to Voda members for coming up trumps.

Neale.

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Glad to help, Neale :)
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

• sameer
                Second Lieutenant

• May 2006

There is no such font as "Best" to be used in the website. But if you want your website to be viewed by all without any glitches then you should stick to these fonts:

1) Arial
                2) Verdana
                3) Times new roman
                4) Tahoma

But if u want to put the fonts in the images, then the sky is the limit.
                nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Comment

• StRyKa
                  Sergeant

• Feb 2007

I always thought that the good ole times new roman font is the best just my opinion

Comment

• donald@welovepanama.co.uk
                    Private

• Feb 2007

Also have to bear in mind accessibility - I believe that people with dyslexia find it easier to read a non-serified, clear font, such as Arial or Verdana, and prefer a slightly shaded, off-white background.

Lorna

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

I'm going to stick with - keep it one of the web friendly fonts - and one that fits your site - which is more than those 4 - and you're fine.

I like Verdana and Tahoma the most to read - my old eyes do better with them - but I used comic sans on my children's website because I think it simply fits there.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                      X