Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• index page title? help!

hi,
    I asked customer support how to make my index page Not show up as 'index' in search engines.
    I was told to go to view..page properties..and change the title but still save the page as index and then publish.
    it worked it now shows up in search engines as property search.
    perfect..until today.
    I updated the page ..saved it then published but no changes showed up when i open in a browser.
    help...I am really confused
    Andy (kuquii)

Re: index page title? help!

Clear your cache and if you still don't see the changes please check these threads. Server changes have taken place and you may be on one of them.

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...ce-notice.html

and

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...ce-notice.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Your page says "StayinCantabria.com Property search
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi..yes thats it but what i dont get is why when i have made changes to the index page and succesfully published it, why do the changes not show up?. i have just gone into file manager in control panel and the changes are not there!!
        im lost

Comment

Simply your browser cacheing. Hit F5 sometimes.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks but thats not it.
            After ive published a page and then check it in control panel - file manager..nothing has changed..changes to pages are not showing up.
            where are they going then?
            confused....i am!
            Andy

Comment

am i using the wrong ip adress when publishing?
              how do i know if it has changed and which one to use.
              the one i have always used is still saying sucessfully published but obviously it isnt!
              Andy

Comment

Two servers have changed recently. Voda 6 has changed from IP # 70.86.134.194 to 75.126.124.162 and Voda 2 from IP# 70.86.30.66 to 75.126.124.163

The old servers and IP addresses go on working for some time, and if yours is one of them, then you are probably publishing to the wrong server. If this is the case, then your changes don't show, because you need to publish to the new IP address.

You will also need to download and install the latest version of BV, in order to have the new IP addresses.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by kuquii
                  Thanks but thats not it.
                  After ive published a page and then check it in control panel - file manager..nothing has changed..changes to pages are not showing up.
                  where are they going then?
                  confused....i am!
                  Andy

What do you mean? How can you tell by going to your Cpanel's file manager that changes aren't showing up? If you've made changes and BV has told you that they were published successfully, they are visible on the web. If you can't see them, it's a cache problem, as Amanda and Naval pointed out.

Hit your F5 key a couple dozen times. If that doesn't work, clear your browser's cookies and temporary files. Close the browser and restart it. If it still doesn't work, wait a while and it will be fine. Other factors come into play with this - if you use dial-up, it can take a while sometimes for changes to appear for you, but the rest of the world is seeing them just fine.
                  My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Hi Race, how are you ?

not excactly. If (and i say IF, because i don't know if tis is the case) he is publishing to the old IP address, which is still active, than the page gets published there. Now, if he is using http://www.domainname/cpanel to loggin in his control panel, he's loggin in in the new server, so there are no changes there. This may mislead him, because he is publishing to the old IP address, and the page is infact succesfully published (but to the old server, so the page doesn't show up in the web).

That's why i suggested checking if he was either on Voda 2 or Voda 6.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                      Hi Race, how are you ?

not excactly. If (and i say IF, because i don't know if tis is the case) he is publishing to the old IP address, which is still active, than the page gets published there. Now, if he is using http://www.domainname/cpanel to loggin in his control panel, he's loggin in in the new server, so there are no changes there. This may mislead him, because he is publishing to the old IP address, and the page is infact succesfully published (but to the old server, so the page doesn't show up in the web).

That's why i suggested checking if he was either on Voda 2 or Voda 6.
                      Good call, my friend, I didn't realize it was fragmented like that and I don't fully understand why that would happen, but so be it. lol
                      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Hi again Race,

when VH changes a server and IP address, the old one remains active for some time. The user has access to both. After the server switch, the content in the new server is the "active" one, that shows in the web. Also, automatically, when one types the domain name in the browser, he gets to the new server. So, if the new page is published in the old server, using directly the old IP address (since BlueVoda and BlueFTP only work with direct URL, meaning 70.86.134.194 , ) , the pages does in fact get published, but it will never show up because the browser will see the new server content. I myself had to republish 3 - 4 pages again, because i had made the same mistake, though i knew about the server swap.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                          Hi again Race,

when VH changes a server and IP address, the old one remains active for some time. The user has access to both. After the server switch, the content in the new server is the "active" one, that shows in the web. Also, automatically, when one types the domain name in the browser, he gets to the new server. So, if the new page is published in the old server, using directly the old IP address (since BlueVoda and BlueFTP only work with direct URL, meaning 70.86.134.194 , ) , the pages does in fact get published, but it will never show up because the browser will see the new server content. I myself had to republish 3 - 4 pages again, because i had made the same mistake, though i knew about the server swap.
                          No, I understand that part, I just don't understand why they can't turn that old IP off. I'm sure there are reasons behind it, I just don't understand them.

From a customer's point of view, look at it this way - you made mistakes with this and you are a seasoned pro. How many of the "newbies" have made the same mistake, but not known how to fix it? I'm sure the info is in emails and so forth, but we both know that people don't always read the emails fully and it seems to me there should be a more "fool proof" method.

I'm not criticizing VH, because something like this must be a logistical nightmare - they have to move the sites while keeping them live at the same time, which would have to be a monumental task. I'm just saying that maybe there should be a better, more customer friendly way.
                          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

VH keeps the old server alive, and the connection active (through direct IP number access) because, sometimes, a client that hasn't been informed of the change, goes on and installs a script or something AFTER VH's backup. (VH makes a full backup of the server content, and then imports it in the new server). Since this swap time might take from 1 - 3 days (as it happened with voda 6), non informed users could, in the meantime, install something or upload someting, that they would loose if the server was shut down immediately(although they should have in on their own computer). . They also need to keep it alive for some time, because DNS propagation through the world is not simultaneous: in some places it happens in just a couple of hours, in some rare cases it might take up to 3 - 4 days. To me, f.e that i create database scripts and test them on my server before i install them on the client server, it is very usefull, as i can go on working with the old server till DNS propagation is complete, then i upload again all the files to the new server

Of course, you are wright, this also causes problems to non informed users and newbbies. I don't know if there could be a way to make it more user friendly.
                            Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                            X