Need to get organized – If I shut down my computer will it affect my web sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beck
    First Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Need to get organized – If I shut down my computer will it affect my web sites?

I'm not sure this is covered in other posts, I looked, but didn't find the answers - If this has been covered already would someone please point me in that direction. thanks

1) If I was to move - shut down my computer will this mess up my web sites?
    1 a) Will I lose all my photos when visitors try to pull up the pages?
    1 b) And do I need to continue to store all of this content on my computer on my hard drive – it is eating up my memory? The more pages I build the more space it takes up. :)

I have a big problem with staying organized… is there a simple way to file everything?
    2) What is the best way to organize all my files - as for each separate web site?

3) If my computer were to crash or something?
    Is there somewhere I can put all the content from each page to keep it safe from disappearing – Like not on my hard drive?

3a) Is there a Step by Step formula for this?
    Sometimes I’m slow at understanding how to do stuff so if it could be broke down in simple terms that would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for all of your support!
    Beck
    www.hitchhikinghorses.com
    www.picturetours.net
    www.candcshires.com
    www.gypsyfeathers.com
  • Watdaflip
    Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: Need to get organized – If I shut down my computer will it affect my web sites?

1) No, you are only holding a local copy of your website on your computer, the actual pages people view arn't stored on your computer, you can turn it off indefinently and people will still view your website as normal.
    b) Files stored on your computer don't use memory unless they are loaded (such as viewing a pdf, or running a program), otherwise they just use hard drive space.

2) Im probably even more less organized so I don't know if Im the person to ask.

3) You should back it up on a cd, flash drive, floppy, anywhere you can

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• davidundalicia
      General

• Mar 2006

Re: Need to get organized – If I shut down my computer will it affect my web sites?

What you could do is:
      when you have published your pages to your website and everything is ok
      you could then use your frp program to upload your BV pages to a another folder on your website(protected)

Flash drives are so cheap nowadays. so as watdaflip said, you can store a complete directory with pics/images on it.
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
      Newbies / Beginners Forum
      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• LadyEye
        General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Hi there

I would seriously begin by cleaning the files, not in use by your website. Quite often an image has been optimized and reduced in size for use on your website and then you end up with several copies of the same picture. Try to identify which files belong with your websites, and leave those on your computer, along with the .bvp files.

So with that in mind, I would clean out my computer first, removing any images that I did not need.

There are free storage places on the internet that will allow you to upload your files free. And you can also download these files, although limited to a certain amount during a certain timeframe, otherwise you pay, only $5.00/month anway for full download access.

In answer to your question about if your computer were to crash where you could get your files??

You can always import any of your pages with the blue voda web builder. You do so by opening a new page FROM EXISTING HTML PAGE - you then type in the url of your page and blue voda will import it for you ....

Backups on cds are always popular as well as backing up your files in your file manager.

I do believe if you were in dire stress from a crash, Voda Host has your most recent files backed up for 7 days ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Beck
          First Sergeant

• Jul 2006

thanks all !!!
          Now all I have to do is start spring cleaning my computer! uggghhh - such fun!

Comment

Working...
          X