Password-protected pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password-protected pages

I want to have a "members only" section in my site.

I've read all of the posts that I could find on the subject. Many said that I can ONLY password protect a directory. So... Can I MAKE a new directory?

Or... Is there any other way to password protect part of the site? ...like maybe put it in a subpage or subdomain?

It doesn't need a lot of complexity. I will be setting up all of the usernames and passwords myself; no self-registrations, password changes, etc. Just access control.

Re: Password-protected pages

yes you make a directory, a directory is really a folder, a folder within your public_html directory that you can lock up, all pages that you make that you want to remain under that locked protection, get published to that directory (folder)

Go into your control panel, you will see password protect directory ...

make yourself one, the folder/directory will be created automatically for you ...

If you choose to name the folder secret then you would publish to public_html/secret any pages that you want protected.

You will make a password and username to access this area, and will need to supply it to all of those you wish to enter ...

It's pretty easy, any troubles, post back ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

When I click on Password Protect Directories, the only items that show up are noted as "current directory" and "cgi-bin". Don't know what to make of it. When I click on "current directory", nothing happens. When I click on "cgi-bin", it simply toggles between "cgi-bin" and "up one level".

I created the folder that you suggested right in the File Manager.

Comment

Before you enter file manager in your control panel, you will notice icons for eveything, there is an icon there for password protect directory, that is where you need to go to make the directory ... not in the file manager, but in your control panel you need to add a password protect directory there

Did you do that??

Hang on, the look has changed ....

Okay, so you have created the folder, click that folder then and see where that takes you ... this is a whole new look, must be since BV9 has come out ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I did initially. I simply went into the cPanel, and clicked on the Password Protect Directories icon. ...and had the above-noted problem.

THEN, I tried the alternative of producing the folder in File Manager, going back to the Pas....., thinking maybe it will work now; no difference.

Comment

Okay, I am going to try one the new way and see how it all goes together now myself ...

I'll be a few moment, and I'll come back and let you know ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yes, well with that folder that you now created, go back out to the base of the control panel, click password protect directories, go into public_html directory and you should see the folder you made and then click on its name to password protect and then the page will appear that you will fill in the rest of the information ... and then publish those pages that you like into that directory ...

Just is a little different, I guess you make the folder now first, previously the folder was created for you when you went into the password protect icon in control panel.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hmmmmm?? I did exactly what you said to do, and I still only see the "current folder" and "cgi-bin" ones open up. ...and both of the icons display as open.

Comment

So you are not seeing the folder you created then??

Create it again, so go into file manager, and enter into public_html and create the folder in there ... that will create the folder in your main account ...

then come out and go into password protect directory and then you should see the folder there ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

OK. I recreated the folder. It now shows up on the password protect page. I entered the password info under "public_html/foldername". Everything seemed alright, but, when I checked the website, I couldn't get in to the site at all, without the password.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong now?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by heloman
                      OK. I recreated the folder. It now shows up on the password protect page. I entered the password info under "public_html/foldername". Everything seemed alright, but, when I checked the website, I couldn't get in to the site at all, without the password.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong now?!?!?!

Okay, sounds to me like you ended up password protecting your entire public_html directory instead of just the directory you created

Pay particular attention to the below in bold ...

Please select the folder you wish to protect by clicking on its name.
                      Open a folder by clicking on its icon.

You first need to open the public_html directory by clickin on its icon (the picture) and then inside you would see your folder, then you click that folders name (not the icon picture)

You now need to go and unprotect that public_html directory, and start all over again ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I see that Navel is on the board and I am hoping he can come into this thread and further help ...

This seems to have changed since I last did this, and he is probably more up to date than I am.

Navel would you mind helping here ...

Thanks ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Also click the below.....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I GOT IT. IT WORKED. I'll simply need to make a minor change to my index page and republish it to incorporate the feature. Thank you ever, EVER, EVER so much, LadyEye. You've made my day. Big time!!!!

VodaHost, I looked at that item a zillion times. Apparently there's been a procedural change since 9.1 was released. But I'm good to go now.

Thanks, all. BTW, my site (temp.) is www.SportHelo.com

Comment

Excellent and you're welcome ... you've made my day too!!

Have a great one, please send me the password so I can get in ... I hate being locked out ....

lmao!!

EDIT: Better yet send me one of those backpack copters, oh how cool ...... can I close my eyes ... is there autopilot????

omg that is totally cool ...... I can't wait to see more of your website ... I so need one of those ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X