• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrinkACTzip
    Private First Class

• May 2007

Password Protected Directories

I have a password protected directory on my site. It took me some time to figure out part of the probelm I was experiencing. I have noticed that with some web browsers I can enter the user name and password and be taken direclty to the area of the site that is password protectd.

However, in other web browsers I am forced to enter the the user name and password twice before I can get access. When I say twice I mean that the first time the information is entered the login box clears out when I hit submit. I enter the info again and then access is granted to the rest of the site.

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

• Andy128
    Major General

• Dec 2005

Re: Password Protected Directories

Well- try creating another password protected directory and see if it occurs with that one as well. If so- then post it here so we can test it too to make sure it is not your computer (or you could go to another computer and try yourself.)

Or- If it does not occur with this newly created directory - then perhaps it is a glitch and maybe delete and start over.

Also- if you decide to post the newly created password directory for us to see what is going on- dont forget to give us the URL and user name and password.

Cheers-
    Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• DrinkACTzip
      Private First Class

• May 2007

Password Protected Directories

As it turns out. I am now having this problem with all browser types. I have also discoverd that when I add index.html to the directory structure it will go directly to that pasword protected directory after entering the user name and password.

There is still some sort of problem. In the past I can go straight to the password protected directory folder and get right into that area of the site.

What seems to be happening is that when you go to the directory folder by itself you will be presented with a login screen. After you login to that you will now need to login a second time for the index.html page.

The user name and password for the directory is not passing onto the html page. This was not a problem in the past before version 9 of the software.

Does anybody have an answer as to how to fix it so that it works with one login into the directory without also having to login to the html page as well?

Comment

• DrinkACTzip
        Private First Class

• May 2007

In response to Andy. I did what you said last night. I even deleted the directory on more than one occasion and started over from scratch. No change. I have also been testing with multiple computers. Still no change. I do not think it is my computer since I am having the same problem on more than one computer. Especially since the computers are completely different in nature and build.

Comment

• Andy128
          Major General

• Dec 2005

May try turning off the index manager in that directory. Go to cpanel and then to index manager.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• DrinkACTzip
            Private First Class

• May 2007

No change using Index Manager. Go to the following URL using a browser that is NOT Internet Explorer. Note how many times you are required to login before you get to the page. The following is the name and password.

User Name: BVname (Note the b & v must be capitalized)
            Password: password

If you were clicking on a button in my site that took you to this page then it would not matter what browser you are using. The negative results would be the same.

I am giving you a direct link to the directory. In I.E. it seems to work. Any other browser it will not.

Let me know if you need to login more than once to get to this directory.

Comment

• Andy128
              Major General

• Dec 2005

Actually- in IE7 the results of that link are the same. I have to sign in twice. However, if you use this link;

Notice the www - it then works properly in both IE and Firefox

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• DrinkACTzip
                Private First Class

• May 2007

I found a "Bandaid" solution. However, I would still like to know the source of the problem and how to fix it properly.

I created a permanent redirection of pointing my password protected directory to the index.html page in that directory. This way it will not matter how people get to the password protected directory because it will redirect to the password protected html page. See Example Below.

http://domain/pass_protect_directory --> http://domain/pass_protect_directory/index.html

If anyone has a real solution rather than a Bandaid please let me know.

Much Thanks

Comment

• Andy128
                  Major General

• Dec 2005

Look at my post above your last one- ( I had to edit it as it took care of the problem when I tested it again.)

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• DrinkACTzip
                    Private First Class

• May 2007

Thanks Andy for your insight and your help. I really do appreciate it. I went back and did the www as you suggested and it worked as well.

I am running IE7 as well, however, I use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox most of the time. I guess with all these newer browsers we need to think a little more creatively to get around problems until everybody catches up with the newer technology. I am running into that using Windows Vista on one of my machines.

Thanks Again

Comment

• Andy128
                      Major General

• Dec 2005

No problem- glad to help. I have found that not using the entire URL structure (http://www. ) can cause these types of problems in links.

Anyway- glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,
                      Andy
                      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• Culdee
                        Private First Class

• Mar 2007

Publishing password Protected Directories

Hello...
                        I think I just missing a single step, however, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to publish the new password protected directory I have created.
                        Rona
                        Thank you for any help!

Comment

• navaldesign
                          General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

You publish normally. In the Folder field you type " public_html/foldername " where foldername is the name of your password protected folder.
                          Navaldesign
                          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                          X