• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subversive
    Sergeant First Class

• Jan 2006

Would like to move a Joomla site to Vodahost

Hi, I have an active account with Vodahost, and I'm mostly quite pleased with it. I recently had a site of mine (not hosted with Voda previously) redesigned, and the designer offered me 6 months free hosting with my design. However, I am having nothing but problems with their hosting and I would like to move the site to Vodahost. I was wondering if anyone can give me some instructions on how to download the site then upload it to Vodahost. The current hosting company DOES run Cpanel, same as Vodahost, so hopefully that helps. Again, this is a Joomla site, and I want to maintain all the content and the design during the move. Any help is appreciated.
    Guys Poker Night Out - Beat your friends at poker
  • racefan20
    Major General

• Jul 2005

Re: Would like to move a Joomla site to Vodahost

Should be a pretty easy move, I'd think. You'd need to log into your Cpanel there and make a back up of the database the Joomla site uses, and then ftp in and download all files.

Once done with that, log into your VH CPanel and create a new database, then upload the database file from the other host into the new one here. Once that's done, ftp into your VH server and upload the entire folder you downloaded from your old host (take care to upload the folder and not just the files, as uploading just the files would overwrite any existing files you may have with the same names; index, etc).

All of this [expect the db creation] is done through phpmyadmin, by the way, you can find it near the bottom of the 'Mysql Databases" page. On your old host, you'd need to go to phpmyadmin, select the database the Joomla site uses and select export. Then, come back to your VH Cpanel, go to phpmyadmin, select the database you created and use the Import feature to browse for and upload the file.

Please note that somwehere in your Joomla files there will be a file called 'config' (or something similar) - you'll need to edit that to match the settings for the new configuration, which would mean changing the username and password to match your VH Cpanel details as well as changing the database name to the one you're using here. 'Host' or 'server' is always "localhost" on a VH server.

This sounds complicated, but it's not. Give it a try and post back if you have issues with it and someone will be able to help you.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

• Subversive
      Sergeant First Class

• Jan 2006

Re: Would like to move a Joomla site to Vodahost

Hey, thanks for the detailed response and sorry for the long delay in replying. Does it matter how I export it? (ie: csv, SQL, etc) Or, will the new database understand it regardless?
      Guys Poker Night Out - Beat your friends at poker

Comment

Working...
      X