Newb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb questions

Hello, I am a web design newb and I have some basic questions.

I currently several domains, but they are all parked atm. I plan on starting: one forum, one personal website, and keep cash park the others while getting my feet wet. So with that out of the way here come the questions :)

1. I have been using BlueVoda for a couple of days now, and find it to be pretty user friendly. However, I could really use a glossary of terms. For instance I don't understand what a plug-in is for instance, or what the difference is between HTML and JAVA. My big problem is that I do not have access to the internet all day. So when I sit down at night to work on my webpages, I cannot come here and look for specific help. So is there a book or a download that I should look out for?

2. At what point should I decide on a web hosting service? And what services should I focus on? Also does it generally cost extra to host more than one website? If a service charges $10 a month to host one site, will it charge $20 to host two?

I know that these are very simple questions, but I am a little overwhelmed atm and I will greatly appreciate any and all responses.

Re: Newb questions

Greetings.

I started out with Creating webpages for Dummies. It will go over the common terms and get your feet wet with html. Html is a programming language that tells browsers how to display a web page. Java is a script language that allows you to do dynamic functions on a web page. By dynamic I mean that it allows interaction with the user and the web page.
    Squirrel away what ever time you have to watch the BV tutorials and that will help alot. In my opinion (and I have tried many web builders)- BV is hands down the simplest with the lowest learning curve. This is helped along by the great tutorials and the help from this forum.

As to web hosting companies. I am partial to Voda Host for a couple reasons. 1- the cost. At $7.95/month (if you pay on year at a time), I find that it is very competitive with. For that $7.95/month you get 600gig if bandwidth transfer per month and 24 gig of storage. Additionally you get many features (added programs) with in the control panel of your site. Such things as picture galleries, forums and many more. These are ready to go programs at no additional costs and set up is easy.

You already have domain names that you have purchased so that will not be an expense, except perhaps to transfer them. And, you can have many add-on domains. In other words, with the space allowed and the 600 gig bandwidth- if you can make 10 websites- they can all go on that one account at no extra charge. I myself have two and there are many here that have 4 times that.

Hope that was of some help.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Re: Newb questions

Originally posted by Andy128 View Post
      Greetings.

I started out with Creating webpages for Dummies. It will go over the common terms and get your feet wet with html. Html is a programming language that tells browsers how to display a web page. Java is a script language that allows you to do dynamic functions on a web page. By dynamic I mean that it allows interaction with the user and the web page.
      Squirrel away what ever time you have to watch the BV tutorials and that will help alot. In my opinion (and I have tried many web builders)- BV is hands down the simplest with the lowest learning curve. This is helped along by the great tutorials and the help from this forum.

As to web hosting companies. I am partial to Voda Host for a couple reasons. 1- the cost. At $7.95/month (if you pay on year at a time), I find that it is very competitive with. For that $7.95/month you get 600gig if bandwidth transfer per month and 24 gig of storage. Additionally you get many features (added programs) with in the control panel of your site. Such things as picture galleries, forums and many more. These are ready to go programs at no additional costs and set up is easy.

You already have domain names that you have purchased so that will not be an expense, except perhaps to transfer them. And, you can have many add-on domains. In other words, with the space allowed and the 600 gig bandwidth- if you can make 10 websites- they can all go on that one account at no extra charge. I myself have two and there are many here that have 4 times that.

Hope that was of some help.

Andy
      Yes, thank you it was. I actually thought about going to the book store and looking for "an Idiots guide to" or a "for Dummies" book but hadn't used one before and didn't know if they were any good.

Comment

Working...
      X