Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decompressing via FTP

Hi,

I could not find a suitable forum for this post, so hope it is okay to ask here.

I have uploaded a compressed file using BlueFTP called v31.tar.gz. It is a recent version of PerlDesk.

Problem is, I can't uncompress it. I could have uncompressed it before uploading it, but according to file properties, the uncompressed file is over 350MBs whereas the compressed verison is only 3.5MBs! So you can see the problem with that approach.

Does anyone know how I can uncompress a file that is online? I'm really stcuk here and could do with some help.

Many thanks,

Dom

PS. For those of you wondering why I didn't install it using Fantastico, I did, and it didn't work. So now I'm trying it manually. :)

Oh, and sorry about having also posted this message on "Bluevoda General Issues". That was a mistake.

Re: Decompressing via FTP

You can't decompress a file unless you have root or ssh access, which you don't with vodahost. And there has to be some error, I can't see how its possible even with compression to make 350 mb's into 3.5mb's

The only way to upload it is to decompress on your computer and upload it. If it actually is 350 mb, it shouldn't take longer then an hour to upload. Just start the upload and go to sleep, it will be done by the morning assuming nothing times out

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. You're right that there is something odd with the compression size. I can't figure it out. I only know it says it is 3.5NB compressed and nearly 350MB uncompressed. I'm not sure which is right. Obviously, they can't both be.

I tried to uncompress them and upload them, but it won't work. BlueFTP refuses to upload it at all. I have had this problem with BlueFTP before. It just point blank refuses to upload anything of any kind of size. I don't know why because it does not say.

I tried another program called Cute FTP. I got loads of errors then eventually it said something about not being able to upload a "child" something-or-other.

Do you know of a program stable enough to upload without going wrong?

Thanks,

Dom

Comment

Perhaps try filezilla. I don't know other programs give you errors. The only problem I have ever had was a program timing out after a couple minutes of uploading, and all I had to do was move the mouse every couple minutes and it stopped timing out. Thats weird

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
        X