Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Database - Transfering from webhost

Hello,

I have a client with an other webhost and they have finally decided to switch with VodaHost. The transfer must be quick and easy without any delays or set backs since there is over 10,000 visits a month from local buyers looking to buy a home.

There is a database system using SQL Database for a program called Open Realty and I wanted to know that everything that is on the other web server - can it be copied or just transfered without any complications or problems.

We want to switch but do now want to be offline for a day or two waiting or configuring the site after the switch. Because everything is saved in this database and we can not lose it.

So, please let me know how I would be to do this transfer without any complications.
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Re: SQL Database - Transfering from webhost

Quickest way I can think of to switch the site over would be to copy all the files over and configure them. (You can just register the account with the domain and then point the nameservers once everything is transfered, just use the ip to connect for the time being).

The problem would with the database. Vodahost doesn't offer a sql database to my knowledge. There is mysql. There could be some issues with integration (Some database conversions that need to be made), im not sure I have relatively not experience with a mssql database, I only use mysql.

The sql statements should be the same, even if there isn't a problem. A problem could be with the reality script itself using sql statements and not mysql. A good one will have the ability to switch that, but I'm not familiar with that script so I can't say.

This is just some thoughts, I don't know for sure, mainly just assumptions.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Try looking at this or something similar http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/mssql-to-mysql.htm

Comment

Hey,

Sorry, I don't think I wrote this correctly for you guys to understand. It is MySQL (sorry if I didn't write 'My') .. and it is set up with an other web host but when we change it over here we would like to know how to bring it over here without any problems or complications whats so ever.
        Best regards,
        Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Oh, ok. Well move the files over first. Make a new database and user, and update the script accordingly. Then go into phpmyadmin and export the existing database (Select the database, but don't select a table and hit export. Make sure you export the structure and the data). Just export, don't select to save it as a file. It will load a page with a whole bunch of sql statements. Select all of it and copy it to your clipboard. Then go into phpmyadmin on the server your moving to and import the database (Click "SQL" and paste all the contents from the export).

Then you can make sure everything is working correctly. If everything is then change the nameservers, and empty the database, and do the export import again to make sure everything is up to date.

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
          X