Newbie silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie silly question

I ftp'd all of my test pages to my site, but when I browse to the site all I see is a listing of the files located there.

As far as I can tell, all of the files uploaded correctly.
    The index listing of the files & directories show 3 basic entries:

An icon of a sheet of paper with a "?" followed by a [filename].bvp
    An icon of a file folder followed by the folder name.
    An icon of a sheet of paper with writing on it, followed by a [filename].html

The problem 'appears' to be that the file "index.bvp" is not being interpreted correctly, though from what I've read it should have been interpreted automatically.

So, let's try the simple question : "What am I doing wrong?"

site:

Re: Newbie silly question

Don't transfer your files by FTP. You need to publish them using the publish button within your BV program.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Oops! Thanks for the prompt response. Knew it was something simple.
      Smile

Comment

You're welcome
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Hi,
          My domain is pethuel.com
          I have a similar problem to working stiff. I however used the 'Publish Website' function from within BlueVoda and have named my homepage 'index'. The publishing completed without errors, but I type my URL in browser, instead of displaying my homepage, it shows a list of files starting with 'Parent Directory' and cgi-bin, etc. ... Please see link http://www.pethuel.com/. This is my first website, and have worked all night, so quite disappointed that I am unable to publish. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

It appears as if you haven't published your homepage. Try publishing it again. ensure it is titled

index

all lower case

Comment

Spot on again Marincky!
              The pages published did not include my homepage (index.bvp). Another thing to note is that if the page is not saved, it will not publish, or it will only publish the last saved version! Great Forum, speedy replies. I like! Thanks again.

Comment

You are more than welcome.

Is your website finished? Only just a pointer... You really do need some kind of content on your home page for two reasons:

1) As a viewer I have no idea what your site is about from your first page (Home Page). This could potentially lose you a lot of viewers.

2) The search engines use your home page as their main source of collecting information about your site to know where to place it within the search engine system.

Also, do make sure you make use of the Page Titles as this is one of the first things the SE's pick up on.

Nice site though, very colourful, and you also do a great job for the kids which always gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                X