• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diana
    Master Sergeant

• Aug 2005

FTP question

I use BV FTP and have a question concerning uploading a .swf file.
    I was told to make sure I uploaded this file as "Binary".
    How would I do this?

Thanks!
    Diana
    www.dianasdesigns2.com
  • Stroke.nz
    The Man

• May 2005

Re: FTP question

why change the file formatt? swf formatts work fine
    Dave Hickey

www.youngstroke.org.nz

www.eko.co.nz

Comment

• Watdaflip
      Major General

• Sep 2005

It depends on the ftp program you are using. For instance the program I use (LeapFTP) has a button on the menu where you can enter the host, username, password and port, it just switches between: binary, ascii, and auto.

Register/Login Script
      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• Diana
        Master Sergeant

• Aug 2005

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
        It depends on the ftp program you are using. For instance the program I use (LeapFTP) has a button on the menu where you can enter the host, username, password and port, it just switches between: binary, ascii, and auto.
        Thank you. I am using Blue Voda's FTP, but cannot find where it has the option to select binary. I uploaded a flash.swf file for a picture gallery. When going directly to my site, I get nothing but a message that I need Macromedia Flash 6, (even though I have the 9 version). I posted to the developer of the program and he is the one who told me to make sure I uploaded the flash.swf file in binary. Soooo, guess I am out of luck using that program with BV FTP, unless someone knows how I can accomplish this.
        Diana
        www.dianasdesigns2.com

Comment

• Diana
          Master Sergeant

• Aug 2005

Originally posted by Stroke.nz View Post
          why change the file formatt? swf formatts work fine
          Thanks for your reply, however, I wasn't trying to change the file format. My question was concerning how to upload the .swf file to FTP in binary.
          Perhaps I worded it incorrectly!
          Diana
          www.dianasdesigns2.com

Comment

• Girlonthehill
            General

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by Diana View Post
            Thank you. I am using Blue Voda's FTP, but cannot find where it has the option to select binary. I uploaded a flash.swf file for a picture gallery. When going directly to my site, I get nothing but a message that I need Macromedia Flash 6, (even though I have the 9 version). I posted to the developer of the program and he is the one who told me to make sure I uploaded the flash.swf file in binary. Soooo, guess I am out of luck using that program with BV FTP, unless someone knows how I can accomplish this.

Diane, I recommend that you get yourself one of the free FTP programs that are available. I use, and can recommend, CoreFTP but there are others like Watdaflip said: SmartFTP, LeapFTP and lots of others. When you use a proper, purpose built, FTP application you can control how your files are uploaded.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Diana
              Master Sergeant

• Aug 2005

Thank you for taking the time to post. I will definitely take a look at those you and Watdaflip suggested.

This is the first problem area I have run into, but guess when things like this occur it helps us learn!

Thanks again.
              Diana
              www.dianasdesigns2.com

Comment

Working...
              X