I need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help

I am constructing a glossary of definitons all on one page. The page length will around around 4000 I hope. The definitons will be in alphbetical order. On the top of the page this will be the basic layout

[a] [b] [c] ect ... What I want to know is how do I hyperlink to the [b] terms on the same page. Instead of scrolling just click [b] for b definitions.

I have a vague idea www.mydomain.com/glossary.html#b this is the part I am stuck on. Can anyone help? thanks pet121

Re: I need some help

Originally posted by pet121
    I am constructing a glossary of definitons all on one page. The page length will around around 4000 I hope. The definitons will be in alphbetical order. On the top of the page this will be the basic layout

[a] [b] [c] ect ... What I want to know is how do I hyperlink to the [b] terms on the same page. Instead of scrolling just click [b] for b definitions.

I have a vague idea www.mydomain.com/glossary.html#b this is the part I am stuck on. Can anyone help? thanks pet121

I think you should be able to use the bookmark feature for this, Peter. I'm not sure if it's covered in the tutorials, but a search on the forum should find you a good explanation that Pablo posted a while back.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks I will give it a try. I see if i can track down Pablo's post. i also need to know how to create a division tag. Instead of a actually link, in simple terms, a box which displays over the link with the info in it. pet121

Comment

Originally posted by pet121
        Thanks I will give it a try. I see if i can track down Pablo's post. i also need to know how to create a division tag. Instead of a actually link, in simple terms, a box which displays over the link with the info in it. pet121

You mean you want a box that opens when you hover your mouse over a link, or when you physically click the link?
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

yeah it would be a nice feature to add. It won't be a active link but will look like one. Instead a box will pop up a give the definition. I will give you an example:

Aces Full - A full house with three aces and any pair.

full house and pair will be underlined. When the curser hits the word a box will pop up a give a definition. I am not sure if this is possible without me editing the html. pet121

Comment

Have you looked at hotscripts.com? At first blush that seems like something you should be able to find over there. This one might be a possibility, but there are bound to be lots more available there with some searching.
            My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks Racefan I will look into it. Another learnning curve involved but much appreciated. Thanks pet121

Comment

I suggest you visit the W3c (world wide web consortium) and learn a bit about building web pages. Also, if you are going to put all this work into it, do your homework and learn about search engines. These people have a good thing here and it did catch my attention. However, no matter how easy something seems, bottom line is, it is not always what it seems. Check out search engine watch and googles guidelines for webmasters.

What you want to do here is I believe is a piece of JS (java script) and you just write it in there.

Good Luck
                Esk

Comment

Originally posted by Eskiegirl302
                  I suggest you visit the W3c (world wide web consortium) and learn a bit about building web pages. Also, if you are going to put all this work into it, do your homework and learn about search engines. These people have a good thing here and it did catch my attention. However, no matter how easy something seems, bottom line is, it is not always what it seems. Check out search engine watch and googles guidelines for webmasters.

What you want to do here is I believe is a piece of JS (java script) and you just write it in there.

Good Luck
                  Esk

LOL Peter is our resident expert on search engines.
                  My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X