how long before a site becomes live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long before a site becomes live

hi all, I just published my first site but its not online yet I was just wondering
    if there is a waiting period before it goes live. sorry if I should know this already.Dont know if it makes any difference but the domain is spahotelsintexas.com

Re: how long before a site becomes live

Your pages spahotelsintexas.com/contact.html, /reviews.html and/treatments.html are all visible, but you have no index page. Be sure to create and publish that. You can reach all these pages by putting them in the address bar at the top of your browser window (in my case, I replaced google since that's my default page), but it will take some time before they can by found with google search or any other search. Some people say weeks; in my case it was four days or so.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

thanks for the reply Tom, I have published my index page though, it was the first page I done. Also whan I type in the /treatments.htlm etc into my address bar all I'm getting is a not found message. Any idea's??

Comment

You do have an index page, but it is incorrectly published somehow--be sure you typed it "index"--no uppercase, no "html' or anything. The page just shows a list of the various contents; gifs, the other pages and so on. Here it is:

I can get to http://www.spahotelsintexas.com/treatments.html fine; try it. (Don't forget to center it like you did the other pages).

Don't worry, you're almost there! Your site looks good so far.

EDIT: OOPS! Hee, hee--I see the trouble. You weren't kidding when you said (above) that you couldn't find treatments.htlm. That page and your index page you've published as htlm--make 'em html and you're good to go! Actually, BlueVoda will add that for you, just publish them as "treatments" and "index."

Tom
        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

sorry for being so dim Tom but when you say 'publish them as' what exactly do you mean by this. Is this what I should 'save them as'? or what I name them in page properties? Also I have being saving my pages as index should I be saving them with as the actual url 'www.spahotelsintexas/index'. Or should I being saving them as index.bvp, treatments.bvp etc Sorry again for the stupid questions but this is the first time I have done anything like this. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by steve2101 View Post
            sorry for being so dim Tom but when you say 'publish them as' what exactly do you mean by this. Is this what I should 'save them as'? or what I name them in page properties? Also I have being saving my pages as index should I be saving them with as the actual url 'www.spahotelsintexas/index'. Or should I being saving them as index.bvp, treatments.bvp etc Sorry again for the stupid questions but this is the first time I have done anything like this. Thanks for the help

Hi ...

It's necessary to create your home page or your main page as index

- When naming your pages, all other pages may be named by your chosen name, all small letters, without spaces between words unless otherwise joined together by the use of the _underscore symbol ..

- e.g. contactus or contact_us are both appropriate ..

- .bvp is the given file that resides on your computer - the file that blue voda creates and as I say remains on your computer. When you publish this file blue voda converts it automatically for you to .html

- You simple save by the name of your page, do not add any extension like .bvp or .html .. blue voda will do this for you ..

- Naming and applying a title to your page are two different things ..

- By right clicking on the page and choosing properties, you can apply a title and a page description to your page. This is the area where you will want to make a title using your "keywords" and a page description containing the same and more. This is commonly the information found when you do a search querie.

- To retrieve your pages or link to your other pages from another page, you do need to add the .html extension in your linking (this is their address on the world wide web) ..

- Name, save and publish as name only
            - retrieve and link by adding .html following the name of the page

- index is the only page that you do not ever need to add the .html extension to .. retrieve only by the full address of your domain - in your case http://www.spahotelsintexas.com

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

thanks for that lady eve, its pretty much what i thought and what I did but the site is still not coming up, that site thats coming up at the moment is the remains of the namedrive parked site that I have been using, I did change the dns nameserver over to voda 24. I've sent a ticket over to support so hopefully they can fix it. I know I'm doing something wrong but I just cant figure out what it is.

Comment

You have your links to your other pages from your main page as htlm

correct the linking on your pages to html and you should be fine ..

I find your pages, but you have a typo as I say .. htlm as opposed to html

I can find all of your pages when I make this typo change ..

Check in your control panel and you can see if there are any parked domains .. if so remove that as well ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I am so stupid, I have now corrected the links to all four pages they now read

1- www.spahotelsintexas.com/index

2- www.spahotelsintexas.com/treatments.html

3- www.spahotelsintexas.com/reviews.html

4- www.spahotelsintexas.com/contact.html

Is this now correct do you think ?

I have republished all four pages with these corrected links
                  I still cant see any of my pages. All I get for the home page
                  is a namedrive page that comes up when an url is correctly forwarded to
                  to namedrive but the domain hasnt been registered in my namedrive account. This would be right because I deleted the domain name from my namedrive account yesterday. I have emailed my registrar to see if there is a problem with the dns change but havent heard back so far. I dont know how you can see the other pages and I cant. For the other pages all I get is a white page with 'not found' at the top

Anyway, thanks for the help and for spotting the mistake I made

Comment

sorry meant to say I checked my control panel but it says I dont have any parked domains.

Comment

Hi - no, I didn't expect that you had any parked domains, but now you know how to check that as well.

Your domain name without the index is the url that you need to use for your home page

You don't ever apply the index after it

Just use only your domain name

Just like this:

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

did as you recommend, still cant see any change my end but i heard back

from my registrar and he says the domain dns is showing as moved but that

their may be a dns *******tion delay on my side and recommended I check it

out from a different computer and internet connection. This would explain why

I cant see anything and other people can. Hopefully this is the problem, I'll go

out soon and check it from another computer. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Ah, ok, sounds as though your browser is having a cache moment (hmm, AOL?) ... in any case, you need to F5 a few times, as well I would shut down your computer, let it set for 5 or so and then turn on and restart, then you should be fine in viewing your pages. They are all these, and we can see them .. And it's always good to try another browser as well, FireFox or Internet Explorer .... Your site is live though ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

woohoo, my first website, wow I'm so chuffed. Thank you so much ladyeye.

Can i just ask you one more question though, If I want to edit the pages can I change them in bluevoda and then republish them or do I have to do it in the control panel.

Comment

Congrats!! Any time you want to make a change you just open up your .bvp file on your computer, make your changes, save your changes and republish. It will overwrite your page everytime. Now, in your case, be sure and remember that you need to refresh, reboot if you do not see your changes. This may haunt you on your computer forever, who knows, so remember that one ..

Publishing is always from the website builder, blue voda, itself. In your control panel you will find all of your files that you create and publish, you will notice they are .html files in there. You will also find other files that are ncessary for your website to operate from, so be sure you don't ever delete any files that are necessary that way. When you have time it's good to go through your control panel and see all of the great extra tools and features voda host offers you, there is lots. I have a feeling you will be creating more than one website, we all seem to do so!! Great!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X