Need Advice on a specified design [Newbie]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on a specified design [Newbie]

I need some advice on designing a website.

My intention is to create a browsable database in one page. The page will be divided into about 4 sections.

1 section will serve as the directory. It'll contain several listbox in a certain hierarchy. Choosing an item in the highest level listbox will update the items in the following listbox to a new list. Choosing the items in the following list box will in turn update the next listbox with new items. In the end, after all items have been selected, the other 3 sections will display definitions and formulas based on the selected options.

It's meant to be an offline thing and must reside in the same page. I've gone through all the tutorials but i'm not sure how to do this.

Please advise me on how to do this.
    I appreciate any comments.

Re: Need Advice on a specified design [Newbie]

No replies? :(

Let me restructure my question:

I want treeview in html. I split the window as two frame. In one frame i want treeview like whenever i click the parent node subnodes will displayed. For each subnode i put one hyperlink. That hyperlinked page will be displayed in other frame.

Anyone has any idea how to do this.
    Please advice.

Comment

There are many outside scripts to allow this type of menu.

Leader in Responsive Web Design Tools and HTML Software. Try our HTML Editor, innovative Responsive Email Designer or Responsive Prototyping Software today.
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi
      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

You have asked two different things in your two posts.

If you are talking about dependent listboxes that are automatically populated in sequense, getting the values from the database, the only way to do it is Ajax.
        When you select a value in a listbox, all others under it are automatically set to have no values. When you select a value in this, the next is automatically populated with values that depend on the selected one. This is done using Javascript to capture the selected value, and a HTTPrequest object to send this value to a server side script (usually PHP, in some cases Perl) that will send back the response (which consists in the values that will populate the lower level listbox). Javasript is used as a last stage, to recieve these values and populate the second listbox, and so on.

For the treeview menus look where Terry suggested.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

G,
          I was thinking that jj was wanting to click on a menu item and have it appear in an IFrame on the same page rather than go to another page.
          CarbonTerry
          Semper Fi
          Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
          Zone 5 Photo
          My USMC

Comment

Hi terry,

In fact, that's what jj is asking for (opening the links in the same page). However, whilst the first post is mentioning listboxes, the second one is mentioning a treeview menu.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the confusion.
              Either listbox or treeview will do for me. List box would be nicer but it looks tough for a newbie like me... I'll look into treeview first..

Thanks for the links and advice.

JJ

Comment

Working...
              X