• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stylishgolf
    Private First Class

• Feb 2008

Copying Files

I would like an answer to a problem I have encountered today. I have copied onto a memory stick, the bluevoda file of one website onto another computer at home but when I try to open a page, it comes up with Unexpected File Format.

The account was opened under one organisation on the original laptop and I am under another name on my home PC. Does this matter?

Any help?
  • Collectors-info
    General

• Feb 2006

Re: Copying Files

Hi, have you downloaded BV on to the computer???. And remember to take the images with you as you may have to re-insert them on the new machine as the file path will be different.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• stylishgolf
      Private First Class

• Feb 2008

Wow Chris, that was quick thanks.

Yes have BV on both computers. Copied the files into the BV file on my PC but made new folder to keep both websites info seperate. I purchased BV 2 months ago but had no idea, despite the available tutorials how to begin a new website. I did not find them very helpful. I thought that managing a site that was already working would give me a better understanding on how to start my own.

Comment

• jcaywood
        Major

• Dec 2007

Did you open BV before you clicked on the file? If you have BV open and then click on the file it will open.
        Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
        Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
        Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

• stylishgolf
          Private First Class

• Feb 2008

Thank you JC, tried it, then tried it again and still no joy - this BV program just does not like me and the feeling is starting to be mutual!

Comment

• CarbonTerry
            Major General

• Oct 2005

Did you try opening the files thru the BV software? File/Open Page (then navigate to where the pages are stored).
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi
            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

• cpubasics1
              Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Let me tell you. I have the same problem. in the very same order you're doing it to. the trick is that on your original file and folders of every thing NEEDS to be the exact same directory as the original.

meaning: if your original picture path is C:Documents And Settings\JohnDoe\JohnDoe's Documents\BlueVoda\Images\JohnDoe_Party_pix.jpg

the other computer MUST HAVE a path of
              C:Documents And Settings\JohnDoe\JohnDoe's Documents\BlueVoda\Images\JohnDoe_Party_pix.jpg

It has to be the same. you almost have to construct all the folders and put them exactly the same way manually. believe me it IS a pain and you can not mess up or it just won't work. what i had to do was create another user on the second computer with the same user name as the first and start putting the folders in that path...

{PLEASE NOTE}: If you have another hard drive where the drive is called "D", (can be any letter), you better make sure that the second computer has a second drive WITH a drive called "D", (or what ever letter where your files are located from the first computer.)

you have to try to trick the system.

Now the only thing that I wish BV would have is an option to link your web pages with ones on the web {{REMOTE}} or on your computer {{LOCAL}} at start up. kind of like Homestead.com does with their website Builder. this option would totally solve your problem and mine.

Comment

• stylishgolf
                Private First Class

• Feb 2008

Well thats a plan. Thanks very much I will try and confirm whether it works. You seem knowledgable. Try this one. If you buy one of the Templates on here, for instance I am looking for an online shopping template with shopping cart facility, can you then go in and change yourself to suit your own goods or do you HAVE to also purchase their time in making a site just for you?

Comment

Working...
                X