This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find, edit (customize) Error 404 Page

On my various sites I would like a customised page as some seem to have but cant find the info anywhere. How is this done?

(I am sure the info is here somewhere, but the "Search" facility seems very limited unless there are instructions somewhere re more complex searches eg 404 AND Error etc. 404 did not come up on Support site either)

The current site I am working on is : www.diannespain.com

Thanks,
    Muzz
    Cheers,
    Muzz

Re: How to find, edit (customize) Error 404 Page

Hi, there might be other ways? But the one on my site works by creating a BV page that you want visitors to see when a bad url is entered. This page will have a short message & redirect you to what ever page you like. (Usually home page). So it is actually 2 redirects.

So 1st create a BV page that you want visitors to see instead of a 404 & place the code below in the page html “Between head tag”. The number 7 is the time the page will show for in seconds before redirecting to your home page. Change this if needed.
    Name this page ” redirect_page “ Publish & the 1st part is done.

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="7;URL= http://www.diannespain.com/ /">

Now go to your cpanel and click on Error pages & then click on the 404 page & enter the code below in the empty form area with your 404 pages url. Go to bottom of page & press save.
    Notice this is the same as the code above but with “0” time setting to redirect straight away.

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL= http://www.diannespain.com/redirect_page.html/">

Now go to your address bar & enter your sites address with a duff page EI:
    http://www.diannespain.com/micky_mouse.html
    You should get the redirect to the message page & then a redirect to the home page.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

A very easy way to create a customized error page is this: create the page in BV as you like it. Publish it.
      Connect with FTP and change (on the server) the extension to be .shtml instead of .html

You are done.

Second method:

Create the page in BV. Copy it's code. Go in your CP, Error Pages, and chose the page you want to edit. Paste the code you copied from BV, and place, in the appropriate position, the default page messages (the ones that CP by default has on the page). Save and you are done.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you both for your helpful comments. I am on to it!

Muzz
        Cheers,
        Muzz

Comment

Working...
        X