Website shows only a list of files??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website shows only a list of files??!

When I go to my webpage www.fbcwoodridge.org, it says "Index of:" and then lists all my files. I just got my account last night and it hasn't been 24 hours yet--is that my problem?

Re: Website shows only a list of files??!

Nope the problem is that you did not save your page correctly, go to what ever page you want to be your home (index) page clikck file/save as and save the page as index lower case letters, and no extensions. Republish. When naming your pages use only lower case letters, no spaces and no extentions at all.
    Reguards
    Ed
    www.dsondesigns.com
    www.marseillesyouthsports.com
    www.300hitter.com
    www.bigjk.net
    How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Thanks bro, you were right. All clear from here!

Comment

You have a stray button and image on the left side of your home page, but otherwise nice job.
        Reguards
        Ed
        www.dsondesigns.com
        www.marseillesyouthsports.com
        www.300hitter.com
        www.bigjk.net
        How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi . . . just a bit more info on solving the "list of files" dilemma many of us run into when using BV:

Last year I used BV/VH to create and launch a small (3 pages) site. Today I decided I wanted to convert it from html pages to a WordPress blog. So I went into cPanel, deleted the "index" page for this site, and did the standard installation steps for a WP blog in the domain's root directory.

Then I checked the site and instead of it being a WP blog, it was the list of files. Looked around cPanel and Fantastico to try to see if I'd done something wrong. Then it hit me: I hadn't deleted (from cPanel) the other html pages of the old site.

So I uninstalled WP (might have been unnecessary), deleted all remaining html pages, re-installed WP, and bingo: the site is now a blog. I guess the lesson here is that if you want a WP blog at the top level of the domain, you can't also have any html or php pages at that level. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by jimchicago View Post
            I guess the lesson here is that if you want a WP blog at the top level of the domain, you can't also have any html or php pages at that level. Hope this helps someone.
            Incorrect. You can have any html, php, or any other file you want, anywhere you want, on your website. The only time this may cause a problem is if a certain file has a specific name needed for script.

Your problem was probably caused by a file you had on your old website with the same filename as one of the files WP uses, and the install wouldn't overwrite it causing WP not to work.

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
            X