Custom 404 page not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 404 page not found

Is it possible to do a custom 404 page not found page? I do not see anything about it in the forum or in the video section.

I would like to do a custom redirect that sends you back to the home page or just a custom page in general.

Any Help is gretly appreciated.
    Last edited by kortia; 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: typos
    www.rodharper.com (new)

Re: Custom 404 page not found

Hi kortia
    You can put up a "Under Construction" page there if you like.
    And redirect them to another page with the following script (inserted in the Head of the page html from which you wish to redirect)
    CONTENT="0.. can be any number of seconds till redirected and then of course, the redirect web site address... It works..Have Fun.. Doug

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.thewebsite.com">

Comment

Way cool! Thank you so very much! I love html, so easy! I can call it what I want right? under construction is not good for seo. Just having that word on your site anywhere is not good actually. (making a picture and using alt tags for what you want google to see is much better)

I cant wait to try this out, thanks 500 %!
      www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

I have another question:
        What if it is a page you dont know about? Lets say they just make a typo?
        www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Here is a thread on a custom 404 page, this would be much better than a under construction page.
          Reguards
          Ed
          www.dsondesigns.com
          www.marseillesyouthsports.com
          www.300hitter.com
          www.bigjk.net
          How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

WOW I actually got it to work!! WOOT, I am finally doing things I never thought possible as far as web design. I owe all to you guys, thanks so much!

I have not looked at that link yet however hre iswhat I did:
            Directions
            1. Open a text editor (Windows notepad will do), and copy the following onto the first line:

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.kortia.com/404page.html (change kortia to YOUR domain name!

2. Now, save the file onto your hard-drive as a text file (.txt) and name it ".htaccess.txt". Yes, I know what about the .txt, but this first part is necessary. Rename it .htaccess it just before you dump it into your main directory for that domain.
            3. FTP to your web-site's root directory (where your homepage is located) with BV FTP (under tools). Copy the above file into the main directory of your site.
            4. Rename ".htaccess.txt" to plain old ".htaccess" just prior to putting file in. clcik and hold file and drop in directory.
            5. Finally, create a custom web-page with your BV editor, name it "404page.html", and upload it into your root directory.
            You should be abe to see mine in action:

www.kortia.com/iwantmy404pagetoworkformeblahblahblah
            www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Originally posted by D'son View Post
              Here is a thread on a custom 404 page, this would be much better than a under construction page.
              http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...rror-page.html

actually your link was even better as it includes the <meta name="robots" content="noindex">

Thank you very much for your help!
              www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Working...
              X