• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Similkameen
    First Sergeant

• Nov 2008

Need some advice, Please.

Hi all I am having problems not with the site, but only with me trying to find the right program, or build one as easy as possible. Dummy me, I went and purchased a made script for classfied ads, and it turns out, it is not want I want, and it was a unfinished script. So after all this I am confused, and brain cramped. I know what I am looking for, I just cannot get it together, one of those things.

What I am exactly looking for is finding/making a commercial classified ads, shopping site, similiar to E-bay or amazon.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction on building this with the tools provided by BV, or to a already made script for this.

And srry I do not know very much about php, and sql, and all that other stuff.

Thankyou in advance.
    Jon

www.similkameen-okanagonshopping.com

"Challenge all policies and procedures regularly."
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Need some advice, Please.

I personally think you are in over your head.
    First of all, you definitely need a working knowledge of PHP/HTML if you are expecting to configure and manage a script that will be core to your site functionality.

Second, I am sure you have not examined the suitability of such a script and the potential application to your individual VodaHost hosting account and whether or not there will be a conflict of Terms of Service, namely the 5% Resources Rule. Scripts such as you describe tend to require much more resources than is currently allowed, in addition to how they interact online.

Third, I am very sure you do not have the financial wherewithal to fund such a venture of such scope, for if you were selecting between utilities already available, you would not be posting such basic questions here but would likely be interacting with the Management of the script to not only install it but to configure it as well since the typical pricing alone ($1500-15,000) usually includes minimum Support.

You would be better off toning down the scope of your envisioned website and going with a "traditional" professional Classifieds script ($195-395 for ones like phpAuction, LiveAuction, phpClassifieds, etc.) or re-thinking things altogether.

IMO
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Similkameen
      First Sergeant

• Nov 2008

OK .thankyou for the information. No,worries I am no hurry. Patience is necessary in this particular field of knowledge, as I have found out already.

Thankyou Again Vasili.
      Jon

Comment

• Similkameen
        First Sergeant

• Nov 2008

Ok Vasili,

I was readint terms of use more throughly, and the %5 resource rule you mentioned as follows;

Users may not initiate the following:

a ) Use 5% or more of system resources (This included CPU and memory) There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc. If this clause is breached it will trigger an auto kill failsafe mechanism on the server which will auto suspend the violating account.

Could you explain this to me in more detail, as known nothing about how a host works, this being the first time, All of the above is foreign language to me.

All I am re-ceiving from the message above is ,I may or may not use
        use %5 of the host resources? is this correct..lol...or is it outside resources?

Thankyou in Advance
        Jon

Comment

• Karen Mac
          General

• Apr 2006

A site like ebay or amazon would require a dedicated server because of the pull on shared accounts. You dont really need to know all the tech details etc.. except that the content and traffic would overload and slow down your fellow vodians sites.. so youd basically need your own virtual computer to run this. Some times these type of sites have 50 of their own servers to handle the traffic and the scripting.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Similkameen
            First Sergeant

• Nov 2008

ok, Ok.. whew. .here I thought maybe I was not allowed to buy a script and put it on the host or something like that ..ha ha....here I went and erased this small version classified script I paid for from the site in a frantic....lol..

?So I may use a small version classified script on the host. If so I guess I'll have to get it installed again....ha ha. .no worries I figure this stuff out yet.

Thankyou Karen.
            Jon

Comment

• Karen Mac
              General

• Apr 2006

Yes you can install a small classified ads type script.. its your ebay or amazon iconcept that was out of line or out of proportion.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Similkameen
                First Sergeant

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                Yes you can install a small classified ads type script.. its your ebay or amazon iconcept that was out of line or out of proportion.

Karen
                Thankyou Karen.
                Just to Double check, here is the link to the one I purchased. http://www.preprojects.com/businesslisting.asp

Would you be able to let me know if that one is OK, before I go and try to reinstall it.

Thankyou very much.
                Jon

Comment

Working...
                X