Facing a problem in publishing. Where did it go wrong, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • namyaluska
    Corporal

• Sep 2008

Facing a problem in publishing. Where did it go wrong, please?

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    My domain name is www.tudelftandi.com.
    I tried to publish 11 WORD documents. I think I made a mistake in using the button on the left bar, File Publisher. Then I uploaded those documents to my public-htm, using the ftp manager. They sit there now. However, and after publishing them, and when clicking on links on the GO list, in hetverhaalmettud page, I am getting windows asking about downloading chimes.html (...). I shall be grateful if you check that and lead me out of that impasse. Another point: There are numerous gif. and cover gif. files in my public-htm folder. How can I recognize which is which, to be able to delete the redundant. Thanks & Regards.
  • namyaluska
    Corporal

• Sep 2008

Re: Facing a problem in publishing. Where did it go wrong, please?

Originally posted by namyaluska View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    My domain name is www.tudelftandi.com.
    I tried to publish 11 WORD documents. I think I made a mistake in using the button on the left bar, File Publisher. Then I uploaded those documents to my public-htm, using the ftp manager. They sit there now. However, and after publishing them, and when clicking on links on the GO list, in hetverhaalmettud page, I am getting windows asking about downloading chimes.html (...). I shall be grateful if you check that and lead me out of that impasse. Another point: There are numerous gif. and over gif. files in my public-htm folder. How can I recognize which is which, to be able to delete the redundant. Thanks & Regards.
    FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS, THIS THREAD WAS NOT ANSWERED. WAS IT NOT PROPERLY PHRASED, OR WAS IT DIFFICULT TO ANSWER, OR WAS IT AN ODD EXPERIENCE? ANY VOLANTEER'S FEEDBACK, pls?

Comment

• Karen Mac
      General

• Apr 2006

I see your page there.. I see no go list. Since i cant see any of your other pages.. ive no idea what you speak of.

your upload needs to be to public_html NOt public_htm. Likely thats your error.. no folder with that name exists or it created it and no one but you can acccess it.

Your page takes forever to load and if someone was on dial up i doubt theyd sit there and wait. Could be why no one answered you. Also most people do not use WORD to publish websites.

We cant tell you which files are which because weve no idea what youve done, no idea what you want done, nor what you are trying to do. You might contact someone at microsoft to sort it for you.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• namyaluska
        Corporal

• Sep 2008

Hello! Karen,
        Thanks for taking the risk! You are right, the files were uploaded to public-html. What I did was the following: I created bv pages and named them exactly the same as the Word documents, which I wanted to publish on the Internet. You'll find all of them in my public-html folder. Then I clicked on Publish. I got all the links working, but the Word documents did not show up. Have I made a mistake, or missed something in the process of publishing? Later on, I clicked on the File Publisher button, on the left bar, and uploaded the same Word docs, ... only after that I started getting windows that asked for downloading chimes.com (...) whenever I clicked on a link in the Go list, which exists on the hetverhaalmettud page to which you link from the index page.
        My point has to do with publishing Word docs. I think it will be illogical that I rewrite all that in html. There must be a way, there, for publishing such documents. Here ligt the crux. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

• Karen Mac
          General

• Apr 2006

Yes, you save them as html pages not doc pages. If you save them as docs you will have to embed them into some other html coding or page.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• namyaluska
            Corporal

• Sep 2008

Hello Karen!
            Thanks! You hit the nail on the head. The Save As Webpage does exist in Word. However, embed seems Chinese to me, and to many others. Very technical, you know! Does it mean Drag And Drop? We count on your generousity. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

• CarbonTerry
              Major General

• Oct 2005

I think that the difficulty here is the difference in languages. I apologize for not being able to read your pages.
              Let me state what I think the problem is..........
              You need/want visitors to read the WORD documents ???
              If so, here is a procedure to allow that.
              upload/ftp the WORD docs to your public_html file.
              There can be no spaces in the WORD doc name
              It's best to use all lower case
              "my document" (no quotes) is not allowed
              "my_document" (no quotes) is perfectly fine
              Your link/s would then be:
              www.yourwebsitename.com/my_document.doc
              The ".doc" is the file extension for WORD
              Note that there are also free WORD to PDF converters which will make your documents smaller and more readily available.
              Not all users have WORD to read your pages but almost everyone can read a PDF file.
              Also, your pages are quite wide even on my 21" screen I have to scroll sideways. Visitors do not like to scroll sideways.
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi
              Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

• namyaluska
                Corporal

• Sep 2008

Hello Terry!
                Grateful for your explanation and guidance. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                  Major General

• Oct 2005

You're welcome. I hope that this helped you.
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi
                  Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

Working...
                  X