Changing Links & Nameservers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Links & Nameservers

I posted a new thread a couple of days ago and double-checked it to make sure it posted, but then when I came back to check for answers, it was no longer there. Anyway, I'll try to make my question more brief this time.

I have searched the forum and have read numerous posts, but still do not understand one thing. Is there a way to change all of the links on your page at one time? For example, I have built and published my site to the temporary site name that was given to me, instead of the domain that I am going to use. The reason I did this is because that site is still active and it needed to stay active while I was building this site. Now that I have finished this BlueVoda site, I want to change the nameservers to VodaHost, but I know that all of the links on the BV site still point to the temporary URL. Is there a way to update these at one time or do I have to manually update every link again before I change the nameservers.

Also, the domain is with register.com right now, but don't you receive a free domain transfer when you sign up for VodaHost. Just curious. I am a newbie at all of this, so please bear with my ignorance. I think I stepped in way over my head when I agreed to do this for my Dad. Anybody want to take over?

Temp/Built Site: http://208.43.222.136/~bvdxtdhi/
    Active Site: http://www.michaelshull.com/

Thanks for your help.

Todd

Re: Changing Links & Nameservers

When you paid you should have put in for a domain name transfer at that time. You can put in a support ticket and ask them if they still will do this. You also can leave it where it is and just change the name server info to your vodahost servers.

You will NEED to change the links manually.. probably should have built it that way in the beginning.. but you will need to go back and change them now.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Well, you're right and I would have set it up that way from the beginning, but I wanted to be able to build the site and check the links on the site while I was building it as well. Since I couldn't use the active site, because we needed it up and running, I had to build it under the temp URL. I figured that was the answer though, I guess I just didn't want to know it.

As for the domain transfer, I'm pretty sure when I signed up that I requested to have that domain name transferred to VodaHost. I'm sure I missed a step somewhere though. This is all very confusing to me. I wish I could physically speak to someone. Thanks for your help.

Todd

Comment

U could have tested on ur active site; create a TEST directory and publish everything there as I do. this way if you ask a question in this forum u do not loose the links u inklude in ur questions as they can be left in ur TEST directory after u officially go live with the new site.

Travlinman

AguycanBeach.com
        Aguycanbeachhostel
        Comunidad Aguycan Beach

A great must do for all beginners by Lincslady

Comment

Now I'm totally lost. Thank you guys for your help anyway.

Todd

Comment

One thing you can do is:

1. Open MS notepad
            2. Open page in BV
            2a. Highlight your page and Copy it
            3. Paste it in the Notepad
            4. Use edit/Replace, enter what you wanna change in "Find what"
            4a. and enter what you wanna replace it with in "Replace with"
            5. Edit/Select All
            6. Ctrl-C
            7. Back to your BV page, highlight the whole page
            8. And CTRL-V would replace it with the new.

9. Repeat for other pages.
            Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Working...
            X