Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy pasted elements stay somehow linked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy pasted elements stay somehow linked?

Having some strange effects with my newly built website I wonder if the following is true: When I copy/paste an object (e.g. a frame) from page "A" to page "B", then save both pages under different names, then change the color of the frame in page "B" and publish this page, the original frame in page "A" also changes color, as it would still exist a kind of a link between the original and it's copy.

I would appreciate if someone could explain where this phenomene comes from and how to avoid it.

Chris

Re: Copy pasted elements stay somehow linked?

Try going to frame B & use copy the paste in the Edit menu at the top of the page. Just click on the frame & copy & paste straight back in the same page. It should give the frame a new ID & stop the cloning of another object.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris
      So copy/paste should always be done with the Edit menu instead of CTRL+C and CTRL+V to avoid such problems?
      Or do you in general suggest not to copy/paste objects at all?

Chris

Comment

Your usually best cloning a page or using a template. But yes it is better to use the menu for cut & paste as i believe that it gives the item a new ID. (must admit that i am not sure if its the same in the new BV11)
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I realize that either I am doing something wrong or vodahost is somehow messing up the contents of my pages. I hope the first is true and you can explain me what I am doing wrong.
          Besides copying, I also saved already published pages under a new name, changed some of it's content and published them also. Amazingly some content from the "old" page, although not visible on the page in bluevoda, shows up again in the "new" page, saved under the new name.

This doesn't match with my logical thinking...

Chris

Comment

Do you have two versions of the same files? Delete the un needed version from the server via cpanel file manager or blue ftp.

by versions i mean somepage.html and somepage.php

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Might help to post the url's of the problem pages so we can see published pages source codes.
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi there

I set up the problem pages from zero and the problem hasn't shown up anymore. The main hassle I had with glass buttons: There label showed up differently on the web than programmed in bluevoda! In fact it seemed to change them once published.

I send you two URLs:

http://www.unikator.org/bernkalender.html (was set up first and is as wanted)

http://www.unikator.org/baslerlandschaften.html (is a copy of the above where content has been changed).

Since I am a real beginner I try to understand the logic behind...

Chris

Comment

After 2 weeks I am back with the same problem, try to describe it differently:
                  I got a finished and well working page.
                  I "save as" this page, give it a new name and change it's content, change also the links.
                  Everything looks o.k. in the preview.
                  I publish this new page. When I choose the new page directly by it's html-adress it looks o.k. When I get to the same page through a link (and the link is named o.k. in BlueVoda!) the page showes up but appears with some elements of the original page. On top of that, the "old" page shows an element of the new page. In 3 words: A big mess!
                  A mess I d'like to avoid in the future.

So my questions: a) Is the use of "save as" in general a bad idea? Is it better to open a new page and clone from another?

b) When a mess once occured: Is it enough to republish all the pages or do I have to delete the once making problems also in the ftp?

Thanks and regards

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X