• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John K.
    Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Russian Language yes or no?

I apologize if I have not gotten the information from the forum on this because there seems to be no clear answer from my perceptions. What I need to know for sure is whether or not there is a sure-fire way that I can copy / paste Russian text into the BV11 builder and publish it and have it appear as that same Russian text that I intended?

So far, I copy / paste the text and it looks ok as Russian text; and it also appears ok in the preview window; yet after it is published it comes out all wingdingy with the characters.

Is there a set of clearly laid out steps one can take to override this problem?

The main answers from Navaldesign and Brad Costello are not really yes or no answers and seem to be rather vague and ambiguous (i.e. pointing in a direction, but with numerous forks in the road that they point down and no further information for which road to take when one gets to those forks).

So, if there is a way to do this, would one be so kind as to spell it out for the Russian language and in a step by step fashion?

Otherwise, I must have another company design a page or two and submit that link to Google and exchange links between my web site and that page so that the two appear to be as one.

I would simply like to use BV and keep it all in the family, if you get my meaning.

Thank you kindly for your responses, and no offenses intended towards ND and Brad for their sincere and considerate attempts to alleviate what is a considerable headache for those of us wishing to cater our web sites in Russian and whatever other languages that are experiencing these complications.

I also apologize for my lengthy, run-on sentences!

Kind regards,

John

p.s. do I have to wait for the Google bots to crawl the BV web site before my signature directs to the proper link? my progresslanguage.com link (showing on my signature) directs to my unfinished and embarrassing homepage pro-business-image.com even though I have typed the prior and submitted the change. just curious. I am the webmaster for both. thank you.
    Last edited by John K.; 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM. Reason: Add a p.s. on why my signature link is wrong
  • Karen Mac
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Russian Language yes or no?

Yes.. you can do this.. but please keep in mind anyone who does not have the language pack installed may or may not see it correctly.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• John K.
      Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Hi Karen. Thanks for the reply. I need you to elaborate a bit on "the language pack" thingy. I am fairly certain that this should work here. I see a lot of Russian Cyrillic text on almost every web site here in Thailand. And what dictates the "may" or "may not" based on "whether" or "whether not"? I mean regarding being able to see Russian.

You don't mean that I have to go into my admin. control panel and change the entire language on my PC to Russian, do you? Geez, I hope not since I would be lost.

Again, and respectfully, I need a clear answer and path to the solution, if you do not mind?

Regards,

John

Comment

• Karen Mac
        General

• Apr 2006

No.. it depends on the USERS browser.. what they have installed.. so you should be ok in Thailand

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• John K.
          Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Cool!

Karen, I feel silly asking this, but if you could point me to this language pack I could probably figure the rest out myself; yet would wish to reserve a few more questions in the event of a road block.

Thanks for the quick response.

JOhn

Comment

• John K.
            Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

This is honestly driving me nuts! I cannot get a clear answer and it really is frustrating. Must I read every single thread in this forum?

Every one I have read so far clearly does not address the problem and the solutions are either vague, not addressed, or the thread ends suddenly.

I have SP2 in my Windows XP

I have BV11 and it is set to the enable unicode

I have the Cyrillic and Russian language boxes checked in my Regional Language Settings in my Admin User Control Panel

Is this some sort of great mystery that one has to figure out on their own and to this extent? I have easily looked at over a hundred threads under the search "russian" and still nothing. The answers given to those people are usually user specific and do not apply to another user's issues.

I have tried to use unicode friendly fonts and still when I publish I get nothing (Arial, TNRoman, etc.) Preview? OK! Publish? Blah! Wingdingy symbols!

And yet I can see that people are indeed making Russian language pages using BV and yet I cannot get a clear answer to my ignorance here. What must I do other than beg? I need to get this page out today or tomorrow for the marketing team.

Please please please please please would someone who has resolved this provide the clear answer for me? My stomach is in a knot.

Comment

• Karen Mac
              General

• Apr 2006

Youd have to try the microsoft site for the browser language packs and fonts.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• John K.
                Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Thank you Karen. I will give that a shot. I promise when I get this resolved I will post a total step by step of what I did. I would never wish this sort of headache on anyone who is designing a site and have a seemingly simple little desire turn out to be a fiasco.
                regards,
                John

Comment

• John K.
                  Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

OK, stop the press!

I am curious, after considering this information, Karen; If I can already view Russian Fonts in my browsers already (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.) then that means I do not need to have a language pack installed in my computer to see Russian. There is nothing wrong with my computer that I know of. It must be in the BV builder when the publish button is engaged.

It seems to me that my computer allows for me to copy paste Russian sample text from a Russian site into the BV builder, and the BV builder allows me to see that Russian text because I have enabled the unicode command.

And then when I publish what my browser lets me correctly see - and what BV correctly allows me to see on my .bv pages, somehow the publishing process scrambles all of that and it comes out on the other end as messed-up wingdingy symbols.

So, logic dictates that there is something missing internally within the BV builder that incorrectly interprets the correctly displayed Russian text, and send the wrong signals to the browsers.

So, my question again is how can I fix what seems to be an internal settings problem with the BV builder, that causes the correctly displayed Russian text to get scrambled once I press the publish button?

Comment

• Karen Mac
                    General

• Apr 2006

copy and paste first to notepad.. then to bv.. sometimes you pick up erroneous coding when copying and pasting from the web.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• John K.
                      Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

I copied from the Internet (below) and pasted into notepad

Мы даем гарантию качества преподавания, если вы можете аргументировано объяснить, почему за конкретный урок не стоило платить денег, мы не станем брать с вас плату за этот урок

(note: interesting that we can see Russian here)

Then I selected all from the edit menu

Then I copied and pasted into .bv homepage doc

then I published and got this

Мы даем гарантию качества преподавания, если вы можете аргументировано объяснить, почему за конкретный урок не стоило платить денег, мы не станем брать с вас плату за этот урок

(note: interesting that we can see that)

So, since my computer and the browser are clearly able to show both items here, and also as I am clearly submitting these from my PC and not through the BV builder, then it must be within the BV builder when the publisher is engaged. That "something" within the BV builder is causing "what should be" to be "what is", right?

Something is missing that I am not familiar with and that "something" is what I am seeking in order to resolve this.

Incidentally, thanks for troubleshooting, Karen. I appreciate your input.

John

PS, I will leave the wingdingy text up for awhile if anyone wants to look. It is the bottom of the page

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

John ... you may wish to review the latest post in the Showcase Forum >> http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/322354-post22.html

To compose in Blue Voda using Cyrillic to make your Russian site, you will need to reset BV itself to true Unicode with Cyrillic character set entered. No more "Windows Fonts" and "copy+paste" in Notebook etc. Just make sure you set the Page Properties as you do Blue Voda with the UTF-8 character set.
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• John K.
                          Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Hi Vasilli! Thank you for giving me a heads up!

Anyway, I resolved the problem and I want to go over the steps that I took and I will then be back in a bit to post a step-by-step of everything I did, including the settings, so that anyone else can do their Russian pages without a lot of laymen terms and such.

Thank you everyone for viewing and I will be back shortly with my solution. There is a clear measure to take that I have not yet viewed within any post and it is not "spelled out". Maybe I simply overlooked it through my cigarette smoke and red, heavy lidded eyes LOL.

Comment

• John K.
                            Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                            John ... you may wish to review the latest post in the Showcase Forum >> http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/322354-post22.html

To compose in Blue Voda using Cyrillic to make your Russian site, you will need to reset BV itself to true Unicode with Cyrillic character set entered. No more "Windows Fonts" and "copy+paste" in Notebook etc. Just make sure you set the Page Properties as you do Blue Voda with the UTF-8 character set.
                            The Missing Link....
                            This is a good post, which in turn leads to another post, which in turn still does not clearly state that the user ALSO needs to right click on an empty area on their .bv page and select "page properties" and on the "general" tab, look towards the bottom to the "language" setting and select "UTF-8" and click "OK". That's the ticket!

This, of course after doing what Brad says:

1) Open up Bluevoda
                            2) Select Tools from the menubar
                            3) In Tools select Options
                            4) The below box will appear
                            5) Tick Enable UNICODE
                            6) Press OK

That, my friends, seems to be the missing link to allow Russian Text to be pasted into the BV builder and to publish it and to have it be published as legitimate Russian Text.

I honestly do not recall seeing what I have discovered anywhere in any post, but there are many to sift through and too varied to find with a blanket search word.

I love BV! And now I have a lot of work to do, heh heh!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

No problem at all!

Seems that a lot of the information being provided is not as clear as it used to be, and I am simply trying to re-establish the standard of accurately helping others according to ability and expectation.

... and on we go!
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X