• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pink_eeyore
    First Lieutenant

• Nov 2008

Rename or Not?

I realize that all my files are being saved as a BV file name and not as the image's actual name which is probably affecting my SEO ranking. Once I change the setting so the published uploads to the FTP does not create a BV name will I need to delete the previous BV image files or will the system save the new image and name (the images actual name) over the old BV name? I just don't like having all that useless junk in my files and I do not know how it affects ranking by having files that were once published and are still sitting on the server. Would it be easier to just delete all my FTP files and republish or will this be a disaster in regards to SE? By deleting everything I am referring to image only, the php, scripts, or html files I will not delete. just in case a robot happens to be crwal while I make this change. Please give me your advice so I do not do anything that will hurt me rather than help even if the answer will mean hours on the PC deleting only old unneeded files from the FTP. I hope I didn't answer my own question;)

I was also wondering if I should I be naming shapes as well such as the main shape most of us use over the background? Will naming shapes help with SEO like properly naming images with relevant alt attributes or will google see that as deceptive behavior and penalize me for "tricking it"?
    Mr. Big Paw
    Somewhere in the CO mountains
    Big Paw Services
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Rename or Not?

There are no real Rules against the practice, and no clearly defined parameters established, because for the most part all other web editors by their very nature do not discriminate between how an object is created (dreamweaver, for instance is pure HTML), whereas BV (and most WYSIWYG editors) blends Unicode and HTML to be formatted using CSS to create a formulated coding all its own.....

HOWEVER

There is no need to "Title" a shape created in BV, as they are not static images per se, but dynamic creations of code. The question of whether or not to define ALT TEXT for shapes is a toss-up ... professionally speaking ... in my mind, the answer is predicated by the number of properly formatted and tagged elements on the page itself, and whether all the other 'Rules' are being precisely followed. I defer to an actual count to help me out first, then "picturing" a balance based on that count: if I have few shapes and relatively few "optimizable" elements on a page, I may opt to ALT Tag a shape, but never stoop to try and use ALT TEXT as a place to set up a key phrase or word ... only complimentary valuations to overall page relevance --- and I use this practice sparingly, even to the point of wondering why I remember to consider it -- all because ALT Tags on BV shapes are included within the code itself, rather than attributed/associated to a photo as a "Property" as would be in pure HTML, and thus there is a possibility of the SE's reading this as "sloppy code" or another potential 'risk' since a repeated anomoly (a number of noticeable ALT Tags inserted into BV code) indicates the presence of 'an issue' ... even if not clearly defined.

If your images are not properly titled and ALT Tagged (for each page, even if used globally), then I would definitely encourage you to "recover" in this instance by going back to do so ... and to remember to include it as part of Basic Page Planning in the future: the key thing is to make sure the Titles are very strictly relevant to the page they are placed ... like I said, if you use an image on more than one page, you will need to save multiple versions of the same image to make sure relevancy is kept intact.

As far as cleaning up 'orphaned' items on your server? That's up to you, for they mattter not to your site's SERP due to the fact they are not associated with a web page (assuming you went ahead and re-formatted images and elements as described above).

Get the answer you were looking for?
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• pink_eeyore
      First Lieutenant

• Nov 2008

I did! Once again, Vasili, you are quick to share your vast knowledge in detail! Thank you. I hope they pay you for all the time you offer to assist us BVers aside the perks of being a general;)
      Mr. Big Paw
      Somewhere in the CO mountains
      Big Paw Services

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by adir_sharon View Post
        I did! Once again, Vasili, you are quick to share your vast knowledge in detail! Thank you. I hope they pay you for all the time you offer to assist us BVers aside the perks of being a general;)
        LOL!
        Nope - will never happen! Strictly a 'volunteer' effort, one that earns few acknowledgements and much disdain, or so it seems at times!
        All goes back to being 'inspired' long ago by General racefan20 and his tireless efforts to help me, and when asked why, his reply of "simply paying forward" .... I have long been pleased to only be but a small part of the 'Success Story' of my many peers!

...and on we go!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X