Can't get your instructions for URL masking to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get your instructions for URL masking to work

I have been reading thread after thread on how to mask a URL. I have tried a ton of different ways and the only thing I can get is a redirect to my affiliate page but there is no masked URL.
    I am using the code <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.abc.com">
    I am replacing abc.com with my affiliate link URL, I've also tried to replace it with my site URL.
    And placing it in the HTML of the page between the Head and Tag as per your instructions. I have tried to put both my affiliate destination link there and my site URL there to test either method. I never get a masked URL. It only brings me to my affiliate page and still displays the affiliate link.
    I have read post after post on this and I cannot get it to work, there must be some critical step that I am not seeing. I can get redirects sure, but how when the redirect occurs do I make it so the destination URL to my affiliate page still displays my site URL and not the affiliate page URL with affiliate number on it?
    I've tried making a page on my site that is a link to the page that I am making for this, is that necessary? And without. Neither work. I have tried many variations and I only get the redirect without the URL mask. Can you please tell me what I am missing to get the cloak?

Re: Can't get your instructions for URL masking to work

Thats because its not true masking. Its just redirecting.

you have to use cname to CLOAK it totally in the dns management of your domain.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Ok, now I'm on to something. I don't quite have it yet but you've just given me a new direction after hours of trying the wrong things apparently.
      I am unfamiliar with what it is you are recommeding that I do though. Can you elaborate?
      What is cname and where and where is dns management.
      I feel I am a step away but can you give me instructions on completing this step? Many thanks

Comment

You have to change the cname record of your domain to MASK it. think this is for the entire domain.

Look in your cpanel domains, or google cname records. Personally.. I wouldnt do it. SE frown on telling viewers its one page and to serve them up something else on another site. Real good way to get blackballed.

There are numerous ways to mask a URL &#8212; meaning the URL in the browser's address bar is not the actual URL to the content.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hmm, ok thank you. In other posts they say how this increases conversions and prevents people from bypassing your affiliate link by going directly to the site. I've seen some examples of people on Adwords masking. But I see what you mean that it can be a red flag. Now I'm not so sure what I should do, maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens. Dependant on whether I can figure it out I suppose. Do you think it makes a big difference to conversions if I don't mask my affiliate link?

Comment

Working...
          X