Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PDF files ... Some poeple can open and some can't!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF files ... Some poeple can open and some can't!!

G'day. My website hosts a number of PDF files needed for an event that scheduled for 13/14th Feb. It is an annual Agricultural Show / Fair. Some people can open and read, or download the files, while others can't.
    The page containing Most Links is http://www.crookwellshow.com.au/10_schedule.php
    I was supplied with the complete Program (used to by the commercial printer to produce a hard copy booklet) in ONE complete PDF file. I use Foxit Reader to view. I select pages to make indiviual files by printing with PDFCreator software. That allows me to split the whole booklet into separate areas of content. PDFCreator is a printer style software. i.e. Any document you wan to convert to pdf, you select PRINT and then select the PDFCreator Printer. It doesn't go to a physical printer, instead to a pdf file you get to name and save.
    I've been googling for solutions for a week or so without success. I thought I might have solved it and wrote a help page to assist. Today I find some people still can't open.
    I have been emailing some of the files to people and that helps most. I can't be on hand 24/7 :(
    I thought it was just Windows Vista but today I discovered Win7 and one person with XP Pro.
    Anyone offer a solution??? [plz Navaldesign ;) ]

Rick www.crookwellshow.com.au

Re: PDF files ... Some poeple can open and some can't!!

It is a links and a missing file issue.

Your first link (ALL) points to the file 2010schedule.pdf which doesn't exist, it is 2010schedule_all.pdf

Trotting points to 2010trotting.pdf which doesn't exist

All other files download fine.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Navaldesign,
      I can quickly fix those two links. Didn't realise I'd made that error BUT they are not what people are having trouble with :$
      The one that attracts the most problems (by shear numbers of enquiries from that section) are to do with the link to Horses from that array of links. Others too! Sheep and Prime Lambs and even the simple small file at the bottom Entry Form. I can't understand it unlss it is something to do with the security setting on their machines. My wife is in Canada and she has a brand new laptop with Win7 and Adobe. She says her machine goes blank screen and says DONE. but nothing happens. I got her to right click the link and save. That works once it is downloaded. That only works for some people.
      Thanks for you help,
      Rick

Comment

All links work for me....
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

Thanks Terry. I know the links work and the files are available. Just need to know if anyone has some knowledge of PROBLEMS downloading / viewing PDF files with various browsers / OS. My research only finds that either a memory problem a pdf reader is too early a version for what the document was produced by. My customers (including my wife's new laptop with Win7 and adobe 9.3 installed. She's 18,000km away) claim they have followed my instructions to check / correct those points.
          The Event is getting very close and I haven't got a solution for these people. *yikes*

Comment

Working...
          X