• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leebring
    First Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Changing sub pages

Hi
    I have all of my link to my subpages on the left side of my site (www.owndefense.com). I have done this to all of my pages. I would like to do this to only my index page and delete them on my subpages. When someone click on the link from my index page it would take them to the products they are interested in and they won't see all those other links on the left just the product they want to see. They would have to use the back button to get back to the index page or use the Home button at the top of my site. The reason I want to do this is because my products is constantly changing and I would have to go to each of my subpages to make those changes. It would be much easier to make changes to the index page only. If I do this, would it affect my ranking in search engine. Just trying to make thing easier on me when making changes to my site. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank You
    David
    Have Fun, Be Safe :
    Self Defense Products
    Hidden Cameras
  • DarrenC
    Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

Re: Changing sub pages

Ok I understand where you are coming from but I think most people would like to see your navigation on each page instead of having to consistantly press a back or home key.

You need to read this topic by Naval Design where he explains how to create a single menu which can be called up in all your other pages.
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• leebring
      First Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Just click on any link from his index page. http://www.havestungunwillsell.com/, I don't see what so bad about the way this site is set up.
      Have Fun, Be Safe :
      Self Defense Products
      Hidden Cameras

Comment

• DarrenC
        Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

I was only offering you a suggestion because I am a firm believer you should treat each page as a sales opportunity. Now if your product index only appears on the home page and as a buyer I can't be bothered to flick back to the home page then that'll be your loss and a missed opportunity.

I would never build a shopping site as per your example. It has great content but I feel lacks a thought out navigation.

Search engines will rank you based on good page content among many other things but you should be worrying about your visitor first and the search engines second.
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• leebring
          First Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Thanks for your help DarrenC. I may have to take that chance because I am wasting to much time going through each of my sub pages to change the links when it seems much easy to just make changes to the links on my index page only, and delete those links on my other pages, but keeping the products their if someone once to purchase. You understand that the products on each page remains, just the links on the left side I would be getting rid of. Like the site I mention above. My product line changes all the time. New stuff coming in old stuff being discontinue. I don't have time to be changing my link all the time in my sub pages, to much work.
          Have Fun, Be Safe :
          Self Defense Products
          Hidden Cameras

Comment

• navaldesign
            General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

The solution mentioned allows you to only change one page (with the menu) and have it appear in all pages automatically, so there not ANY extra work than what you would do anyway in your index page.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• leebring
              First Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
              The solution mentioned allows you to only change one page (with the menu) and have it appear in all pages automatically, so there not ANY extra work than what you would do anyway in your index page.
              Naval, if I was to go ahead and do what I want to do, like the only changes would be to get rid of the link on the left side of my sub site and leaving everything else alone, would it have a major effect on my ranking.
              Have Fun, Be Safe :
              Self Defense Products
              Hidden Cameras

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Not really. Google is not so interested in you having links to the other pages.

It would affect however your customers. I agree with Darren that obliging the potential customers to move through the index page each time they need to see another product, can make them leave. It would certainly annoy me...
                Navaldesign
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• leebring
                  First Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
                  Not really. Google is not so interested in you having links to the other pages.

It would affect however your customers. I agree with Darren that obliging the potential customers to move through the index page each time they need to see another product, can make them leave. It would certainly annoy me...
                  Just one last question and i thank you both for your help. Naval, so this site would annoy you. The way its set up I mean. http://www.havestungunwillsell.com/
                  Have Fun, Be Safe :
                  Self Defense Products
                  Hidden Cameras

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Yes, I believe it would. If I need to browse through 20 - 30 products before making up my mind, it would become annoying going through the homepage each time.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

• leebring
                      First Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Thanks
                      Have Fun, Be Safe :
                      Self Defense Products
                      Hidden Cameras

Comment

Working...
                      X