How do I start creating my 2nd site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I start creating my 2nd site?

I've already created my index page with my free domain that is included in my hosting package. I've already published it and things seem to work as they should.

I was so satisfied that I bought another domain (add-on domain) yesterday for which I would like to create another site. But when I open BLUE VODA, I cannot see any "Start a new site" icon in BV tools bar. The only pages available are those created within the the first domain.

Question: How do I start a new site for my 2nd domain from BV? How do I switch from one domain (site) to another in BV?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Re: How do I start creating my 2nd site?

Hi,
    you build your second site in exactly the same way as you did your first.......that is, making the first page "
    index" (no quotes) & linking all subsequent pages as normal. The trick is to create a new folder in BV which should be named after your second site & then always save the pages for this site therein.
    Now, when you come to publish pages for the 2nd. site, in the folder window make sure to type in
    /secondsite.com after the public_html - of course you will need to change this according to which site you publish pages to.....don't forget LOL!
    It's that simple..........
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

AHIMSA,
      I've just done as you said, but it's still not working. Let's assume that my additional domain for which I want to create a new site is 2ndsite.com. Here is what I did after your explanation:

1. I've created a new folder under "BLUEVODA". I named that folder "2ndsite.com" - of course without the quote.
      2. And then I created and saved a page which I named "index" - without block letters and without the quote of course. The page "index" is saved in the folder "2ndsite.com".
      3. I then hit the "Publish" icon in BV and got a dialogue box displaying the following fields:
      a. Server IP: 75...................
      b. Username: (Already there because I checked the box "remember my username and password) => NB.: My username here is the free domain I got when I purchased a hosting account. That username ends with a "c" - of course without the .com. Let's say "1stsitec"
      c. Password: (Already there)
      d. Folder: public_html/2ndsite.com
      e. Files: publish all files

Then I hit "Publish" and got a message stating "Successfully published". But when I open my browser and write the URL "2ndsite.com" in order to check how the page looks like. Here I got a blank page with "Index of/ and other weird information such as "name", "Last modified", "Size", "Description", "cgi-bin/" and the publishing date.

Any reason why it's not working properly even though I did as I was supposed to?

Comment

Did you create an addon domain thru your CPanel? You must do this.
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

....ahh! forgot that "minor" detail :)....sorry!
          Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

YES, I've already created an addon domain (the 2nd domain) through my CPanel and I've even set up an email address for that addon domain. And the email works perfectly - I've already received and sent 3 emails. So I really don't know where the problem might be.

Looking forward to your help

Originally posted by CarbonTerry View Post
            Did you create an addon domain thru your CPanel? You must do this.

Comment

You publish to:
              public_html/2nddomainname
              Some require to publish to public_html/2nddomainname.com
              Please provide an URL for the new site.
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

Here is the URL => http://www.verymediatech.com/

And now I've just tried to publish it again but this time without the .com extension in the "Folder" field as you suggested. Here is the following message I got: ERROR 550: Can't change directory to public_html/verymediatech: No such file or directory

You publish to:
                public_html/2nddomainname
                Some require to publish to public_html/2nddomainname.com
                Please provide an URL for the new site.

Comment

When you publish to: public_html/verymediatech.com
                  You get a successfully published message?
                  You are publishing the " index " page? No uppercase, no .html, no .bvp?
                  Have you pointed the new domain to your server?

CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

• Yes, to your 1st and 2nd questions!
                    • Where in my CPanel should I exactly go to point the new domain to my server? I've searched in every corner of my CPanel, but am unable to find any mention of domain pointing.
                    • I guess my server in this case is the one that was emailed to me when I purchased my hosting account? Right? And that would be "voda(number).vodahost.com"?

Best regards.

When you publish to: public_html/verymediatech.com
                    You get a successfully published message?
                    You are publishing the " index " page? No uppercase, no .html, no .bvp?
                    Have you pointed the new domain to your server?

Comment

Here you go.
                      CarbonTerry
                      Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                      Zone 5 Photo
                      My USMC

Comment

Where did you register the 2nd domain name? They usually have a link for DNS (domain name server) updates. You just alter the current DNS to the vodahost names (whichever).
                        M.J.Ming

Comment

Working...
                        X