Advise on how to build a new site without taking the existing site down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pippy
    Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Advise on how to build a new site without taking the existing site down?

Hi everyone... I am after some suggestions and help would be greatly apprieciated.
    I already have a site built but would like to update it into an proffessional shoping cart site. I have had a look in the templets and there is a few there that I could use as a basic templet.... but I am not sure the best way to proceed.... can I make a dynamic website with out taking the other site down... as I would very much like to take some time to design it and I don't want to loose business in the mean time...what is the best way for me to do this...
    Thanks Louise from
  • Pippy
    Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Re: Advise on how to build a new site without taking the existing site down?

I think I found the info in another section... is this what I need to do?

Re: changing from BV to Soho

Yes, you can do both. But, in order to do this, Soho must be installed in a subdomain.

It will not be possible, after you have finished, to move the Soho site in your public_html folder.

So I suggest the following:

1. Create a folder, and move there (or republish in there) ALL your BV pages. Let's call this folder "main".

2. Create an "index.html" page that will simply redirect to this "main" folder.
    3. Delete all files from "public_html" exept this "index.html".
    4. Install Soho in the main root (public_html). This is simply done by choosing to install Soho in the main domain.
    5. Create your site with Soho. It will NOT be visible directly because you have the "index.html" page that redirects to the old site (now hosted in the "main" folder)

When done with Soho, you can delete this "index.html" file from the server. and your Soho site will go live.
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with bui

Comment

• Pippy
      Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

I also found this post... can someone advise what and how I should do?

Re: Fail to install Soho!

I am pretty sure you can't have more than 1 Soholauch installation per Cpanel.

As far as BV and Soho conflicting, not so in my experience. If I have a BV site up and running and want to tag Soholaunch to it, I create a folder in the File Manager first say 'Shop' and install Soholaunch to that so the url will be http://www.mydomain.com/shop. I've also set up a subdomain where the url is http://www.shop.mydomain.com.

I hope this helps
      Fire & Security Products Manufacturer in Bristol

Comment

• Marincky
        General

• Apr 2006

Pippy, the first option from Navaldesign sounds best to me. He knows what he is talking about too!
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• Pippy
          Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Thanks Ramsey... will do !
          Louise/pippy

Comment

• Pippy
            Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

I have tried Exactly what was advised, Which was create a new folder in my public_html directory under "main" and placed an index.html file in the same directory to redirect to the new "main" folder were the site is now being kept.
            When I go to install soholaunch into the public_html directory I'am prompted with an error quoteing "You cannot install more than one script in the root directory of a domain." So If the root directory (public_html) must be clean, were should I be saving the file and folder to keep the site active (ie. "main" folder {were site is stored} , and index.html page {for redirecting}.)

after redirect

Thanks Louise

Comment

• Pippy
              Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Guys... do you recon I should get a support ticket... I am really not sure what to do ?

Comment

• Pippy
                Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

CASE CLOSED.. thanks Guys.... I didn't realise that the forum used fantastico as well.... so I had to unistall soho and reinstal into the public html...
                So it has all been loaded.. pheww...
                thanks
                Louise
                www.rocksrevealed.com.

Comment

Working...
                X