Still can't find my site by typing address??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eoinmc
    Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2010

Still can't find my site by typing address??

Hi Guys,
    I already posted a thread about this titled 'Still not working'. I got replies but I still have the problems.
    Didn't know whether or not to post this one, but am assuming that the forum thinks my problems are solved.
    Does anyone know why I can get to the site by clicking on the link, but not by typing in the address?
    & how come my hyperlinks in the menu bar don't work?

While your at it maybe you can tell me how I can keep a thread active if I still have trouble after some solutions have been offered??

Thanks
    eoinmc

my site is www.legato.org.uk
  • DarrenC
    Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

Re: Still can't find my site by typing address??

This is a newish site isn't it?

If you are typing the address into a search engine, say Google, until they've indexed it, they won't return in. Don't worry they will in time.

In the mean time you can type your full url in the main internet browser and it will be found every time.

The list of threads you are subscribed to can be found if you click user cp
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• eoinmc
      Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2010

Thanks Darren. That works, so you are right.

I still have the problem with my menu bar though.
      I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
      When setting up the hyperlinks from the menu bar, I have done it exactly as directed in the video tutorials, & I'm fairly sure I have it right.
      The only thing I'm not totally sure on is the TARGET page (in the edit menu). I have set the pages to open in _blank except where you are on the actual page, where I have set it to open in _self.

In other words when setting up the link to Services for example - from the Home page - I set target to _blank, but when setting up link to Services in the Services page, I set target to _self.
      Am I making sense?

To cut to the chase - when I click on the menu bar to get to another page I get a 'link broken' message.

Thanks anyway. eoinmc

Comment

• Tom Finley
        Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Hey, eoinmc. Regarding the link broken thing, your links all all correctly labeled with lowercase letters, but you published the pages with uppercase letters (Events rather than events). Republish your pages all lowercase. It's a good idea to use your FTP Manager to delete the wrong ones. I can't find your contact page. You should name it contact_us (or just contact) and link to it as contact_us.php (or contact.php) because pages with a form will have the php extension, not html.

I usually opt to leave the target field empty if I want the viewer to see a new page, but experiment with the various options.
        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• eoinmc
          Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
          Hey, eoinmc. Regarding the link broken thing, your links all all correctly labeled with lowercase letters, but you published the pages with uppercase letters (Events rather than events). Republish your pages all lowercase. It's a good idea to use your FTP Manager to delete the wrong ones. I can't find your contact page. You should name it contact_us (or just contact) and link to it as contact_us.php (or contact.php) because pages with a form will have the php extension, not html.

I usually opt to leave the target field empty if I want the viewer to see a new page, but experiment with the various options.
          Yipee....... thanks Tom...... that was it. I finally got there.
          Your help was much appreciated. I've been trying to get this done for weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X