website design help!!! none of my links work!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mic36
    Corporal

• Sep 2010

website design help!!! none of my links work!

Hey guys i need some serious help here! if you go to my site, www.studentsupplements.net, you see that only the index page is up, and nothing else in my menus is working. I asked vodahost and they sent me this
    "It looks like the links in your website are incorrect. For example if you use the "Products" drop-down and click on "Protein", the link is looking for /products/protein.html (that is, a file called "protein.html" which is inside a folder called "products"). I have checked your file-manager and there is no such folder called "products" and in fact there is no such file called "protein.html" ... There is a file called "protein.php", however.

You should correct these links so that, either: 1] the file manager reflects what the website is looking for, OR 2] so that the website looks for files that it can find in your file manager."

I guess i dont know how to link things properly and I really need help guys! Im new to making websites and I dont know anything about this file/folder stuff the tech guy spoke about. Can someone kindly give me a step by step on how to make this work:(?
  • Tom Finley
    Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Re: website design help!!! none of my links work!

What they told you is the exact way to do this, so here's the translation (I hope it's clear):

1. Let's say you have created a link from your index page to a page called protein.

2. Your protein page must be published. It will be published as protein.html by default, or if it has a form it will be published as protein.php. The correct extension is added automatically by BV when you publish.

3. After you publish, the web address that anyone would need to find your page would be http://www.studentsuppliments.net/protein.html (or .php). So that's the link you need to have with your menu button.

4. That's the most simple example. But if you want your link to go to a folder named products, your link would look like this: http://www.studentsuppliments.net/products/protein.html (or .php). To do that, you need to do two things: Create a folder on the server named products; and publish the proteins page to that folder. Here's how...

1. Use FTP Manager under Tools to create the folder on the server (right click in the right-hand column to do this).

2. When you publish, make sure the publish window window says public_html/products/

Always keep everything lowercase or it won't work, always make sure the link reflects the proper extension (php or html).
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• mic36
      Corporal

• Sep 2010

thanks for the reply tom,

I created that products folder on the server but nothing seems to work still. Ill give you an example of how im linking and naming things and maybe youll find my problem there.

as you can see in my menu bar, i have buttons leading to orders, contact, home, products, etc. lets for example scroll ontop of products, and go to protein. My protein page, which has no forms, is called protein.bvp and im assuming when i publish it becomes protein.html. so in my options for the menu bar, where it says products, i scroll down to the protein tab and when i double click to go to the edit box, i set the url as follows https://www.studentsupplements.net/p...s/protein.html. All of my other pages that are linked to the menu bar are all named like that, for example, on the menu bar my orders page is url'd as www.studentsupplements.net/order.php- nothing is working.

Generallt background info that you can possibly help me with: So i have the menu bar which leads me to different pages- the only menu button that leads me to different pages under one category is products- which has protein, preworkout, postworkout, fatburners, nurtients, creatine, and mass gainers. for each of those pages, i have other pages that are hyperlinked from images that people click on to get them to the respective page of the products- for example, in products you scroll to protein, which has 6 diff products and you click on isosensation to get to its own page.

all the other menu bar options are linked to a single page, for example, you click contact team ss and it brings you to www.studentsupplements.net/contact.php.

nothing is working except for my index page, and im super confused on how to get this stuff to work! sorry to bother you guys but im in dire need of assistance here!

Comment

• Tom Finley
        Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Not hard to fix, just time consuming.

1. All your pages have been published with a .php extension, so all your links need to be changed to that.

2. You do not have a folder named products, so delete that part from all your links. Your typical link will now look like this--click to see that it does work:

Comment

• Tom Finley
          Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

If it were me, I'd republish the pages as .html instead of .php. Three important things if you do that:

1. Make BV publish a page as html by right clicking on the background and choosing that option from the window.

2. Do not change a page with a form (contact, etc.). A form won't work unless it's on a php page.

3. It's important not to have two versions of the same page on your server. So be sure to delete the wrong pages off your server: Use FTP Manager, click Connect, find the wrong pages in the list on the right side, right click each to delete.

Comment

• mic36
            Corporal

• Sep 2010

wow that helped me sooo much!! it solved my problem tom thank you SOOO much i really cant thank you enough. Im so new to this and i appreciate your kind concern and all the time you put into helping me! Although there are a few links here and there not working, im pretty sure i can get it to work soon enough!

Comment

• Tom Finley
              Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

:)

Comment

Working...
              X