Download File (.zip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download File (.zip)

I have set up a download file, it's an .xls spreadsheet with 29,785 entries on it (2.4 MB) and even though I shortened the file name, sometimes it still has trouble downloading. I have found away around this and would like to share my discovery; when the dialog box asks "Run, Save, Open" I have instructions on the download page telling the client to "Save" the .xls file under a new file name but leave the extention as it is. This has worked so far in my test runs of the download.

Comments welcome, Leddy.

Hey, thanks for the Spec. 3 promotion, that's what rank I was in An Khe, Vietnam in 1970 (Company C., 124th Signal Battalion). BVROX.

Re: Download File (.zip)

I'm not sure whay all this ?

I mean, why don't you simply give a short, simple filename to your excel file BEFORE you upload it on the site ?

And, anyway, the filename has nothing to do with download failure, as long as it is

1. All lowercase characters
    2. Contains no whitespaces and special characters / symbols
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Leddy View Post
      I have set up a download file, it's an .xls spreadsheet with 29,785 entries on it (2.4 MB) and even though I shortened the file name, sometimes it still has trouble downloading..
      It is nothing but a connection issue: each User system is different, and it comes down to how long it takes to download over the given speed, not with the file names or extensions.

PS: The dialog box that presents upon downloading is not something you need worry about at all: it is functioning according to each User configuration, and not by you (the creator).
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Maybe you can check it out and see what I need, I would appreciate it, link provided:
        URL Removed by Navaldesign

The list is personal business data and sells for $99.00 - so safegaurd it please. Thanks Leddy.

Comment

You can remove the link--remember, forum posts are google searchable and this page may be cached; not good.

The problem is the name of the file: xy.xls.zip. Name your file xy.xls only. When you zip it, it will change to xy.zip, a folder that will be downloaded with the file xy.xls inside for customers to unZip themselves.
          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Ok, thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to delete the post now. Spec. 3 - Leddy

Comment

I had to change things on my end. Thanks all for your input. I'll needin' more help later. Leddy

Comment

Replace the paypal button with an encrypted one, or anyone with a minimum of experience will know where your file is. I downloaded it without paying!
                Navaldesign
                Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I never thought of that, I guess all one would have to do is look at the source code for the page and see it. Thank you sir.

Comment

Working...
                  X