Strange extension letters coming up in address bar. ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Collectors-info
    General

• Feb 2006

Strange extension letters coming up in address bar. ????

Hi, not sure if you could suggest what might be happening?
    When I type an address in for metestsite.co.uk/faircay/ I get a string of letters come up (About 2 seconds later after hit enter) after the address has been type In. The page comes up fine but with these added letters.
    IE: http://metestsite.co.uk/fairclay/#.UszrsrSE0Z4
    Its like something is tracking anything to do with fairclay as i am not getting it with other sites on the server.
    Could someone try entering metestsite.co.uk/fairclay/ & see if they get the mysterious numbers appear. At least i might be able to see if its on the server or my computer.

Thanks
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Strange extension letters coming up in address bar. ????

When I clicked on the link metestsite.co.uk/fairclay/ the addressbar posted this "#.Us1WMNJDsrU" apparently as a unique identifier (a Cookie??), something not all that uncommon when using a platform such as Metasite that offers single account "shared hosting" in this manner. The reason I suggest this is an Identifier is the clear inclusion of "Us" as an inbound traffic metric for SiteStats.

I would suggest that the difference in the format of the "added text" simply reflects your User Status on this account.

I would also further suggest it may have something to do with the UK Cookie Law and the fact this site does not have the required disclaimer applied. Since Metasite is actually a Luxemborg-based enterprise, they may or may not be familiar with the requirements their UK (and other) clients need to comply with (since the metasite.co.uk is actually a local hub site for metasite.net). This "auto-adding" of what appears to be a Visitor ID Cookie (formatted as a Bookmark of sorts) seems logical, in this case ...

Hope this helped somewhat ... do let us know the Solution you come up with!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Collectors-info
      General

• Feb 2006

Hi, thanks for getting back. Not quite sure what the connection is between the site you found metasite.net & my site metestsite.co.uk ???
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

My mistake .... I just saw your site is MeTestSite and not Metasite. Moving too fast once again ....

Still, the suggestions above may yet prove helpful (regarding the Cookie Directive) .... maybe your host is automatically filtering?
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X