How do I protect my pictures from copycats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nksiefert
    First Sergeant

• May 2006

Re: How do I protect my pictures from copycats?

I suggest the same. The good photo co's like Stock Photo all have watermarks (which is just your name/website name) in a very light gray even an outline font across it. It doesn't take away from your photo and helps prevent those that want to right click and save it
    http://www.rogerwrapit.com

Comment

• Nite Producer
      Lieutenant Colonel

• May 2006

Hi There,

Few of you people are right about the idea of putting a shade watermark like most of professional photography web sites do, looking at "Gettyimages.com" for example, but the thing here, this option will work only to NOT PUBLISH IN THE WEB, but anyone now can still copy it and retouche it if he really looking for it.
      The Producer

Comment

• Watdaflip
        Major General

• Sep 2005

Originally posted by Nite Producer
        Hi There,

Few of you people are right about the idea of putting a shade watermark like most of professional photography web sites do, looking at "Gettyimages.com" for example, but the thing here, this option will work only to NOT PUBLISH IN THE WEB, but anyone now can still copy it and retouche it if he really looking for it.
        watermarks arnt meant to be a solution, just a deterrent. The only way to prevent people from stealing your work is to not put it on the internet...

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• MaryH
          Sergeant First Class

• Mar 2006

I tried Sues suggestion of covering a photo with a transparency, it's the first one on my memories page, and it seems to work.

I'd appreciate it if someone can spare the time to look.

My instinct however tells me it can't be as easy as this?

Mary

I

Comment

• Andy128
            Major General

• Dec 2005

Sorry Mary-
            I was able to copy "quick-fast-and in a hurry"! Even with a transparency one only needs to do a print screen, past in MS Paint and then trim and save.

There really is no way except with water marks.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• MaryH
              Sergeant First Class

• Mar 2006

Thanks Andy,

I think deep down I knew that I was clutching at straws.

The irritating thing is I don't care who perhaps takes a photo because they may be interested in the professional that we happened to be working with, it's because I'm super sensitive about posting up current photos of children.

When I need to change my pages I'll just have to carry on searching my archives for those who perhaps now are parents, or horror upon horror, grandparents themselves.

Mary

Comment

• Collectors-info
                General

• Feb 2006

If you can’t get round the copying side of things, you may be able to inbed your site address in to the back end of the image. So if someone else use’s your image for their site, they will have placed a type of link on their site. I notice a lot of sites where you get free scripts from all have their website address in the script. I assume this is to get their sites sort of linked to other sites for free when the spiders from search engines have a look around.
                (Think I am right in saying this, it would be nice to know for sure)
                If I am right I would be pretty sure there is a search program out there that can search the net for your images if your web address is still in the back end of the image.
                I tried this type of search with my email address & couldn’t believe how many site finds this search found on where I had left my email address, so i assume this might be the same for a web address .

Chris
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Andy128
                  Major General

• Dec 2005

How about a water mark that says

"Caution-Virus embedded in image"

That would cut down on the problem I bet. (hee, hee, hee, hee!)

Just a malicious thought.

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

hi firstly u should get a javascript code to disable right click on your website, or get a javascript code to protect that specific image.

this should be inserted (the code) with the add html box not the add javascript box as this slows it down and may crash ur computer.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to protect images as there are a number of ways to steal it such as viewing the source code (html) and finding the url for the image.

Also people can just print screen onto paint and then select the image and save it.

There are no nonononononn ways to protect ur images and less u have a complicated watermark (e.g floral backgrounded watermar) etc. which are less possile to erase or cover up etc.

I hope this helps
                    let me knwo if it helps or pls tell me if u found an alternative

Hanif

Comment

• allstarfaces
                      Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by sheila@aplusbeautybuys.co
                      I know the code for how to protect an html page, but it doesn't work on my Blue Voda site. I had someone copy my show dog puppies and pretend they were his and he tried to sell them. How can I protect them other than a watermark?

Thanks!
                      this is an old thread but i would just like to ask the original person , what realy does stopping someone taking your pics do to your bussines i can go to google pic search and many others in an instant have the same pics as you and millions of others, if the person is a crook and is trying to sell a dog he doesnt own then how does that effect you? if you feel strongly enough phone th police if he has posted contact deatails
                      at the end of the day the internet is a vast wide open free for all if you dont want it copied dont put it out there
                      hey this is only one mans oppinion so you can take or leave
                      The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
                      Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

• davidundalicia
                        General

• Mar 2006

I agree with andy......I simply copied your photo from my cache....
                        Have fun
                        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                        Newbies / Beginners Forum
                        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• lost-angel
                          Sergeant First Class

• Mar 2006

the only way to 100% protect an image is not publish it... there are ways around the "no rite Click"... it just makes a person have to take an additional step to get the photo. copyrights and and water marks can be cropped out or edited with photo editors. laws are made to be broken... while you are thinking of ways to stop, others are thinking of how to go
                          Lost-Angelz.com ****: http://www.lost-angelz.com/Lost-Angelz****off.html

Comment

• racefan20
                            Major General

• Jul 2005

Originally posted by Andy128
                            How about a water mark that says

"Caution-Virus embedded in image"

That would cut down on the problem I bet. (hee, hee, hee, hee!)

Just a malicious thought.

Andy
                            LMAO!! Nice! How about a custom right click menu that pops up and says the same?
                            My NASCAR Forum

Comment

• islandcrazy
                              Major

• Jul 2006

Racefan says:
                              LMAO!! Nice! How about a custom right click menu that pops up and says the same?

Rofl!!! I have seen some really great ones like "if you copy this I'll break your arm" or "you are very, very bad to take this picture" etc. etc...but I really like this idea!!! My industry is hugely affected by this "stealing" problem...and watermarks are the way to go unfortunately. BUt I think i will put a virus warning just for kicks!!

How do you make a custom right click menu anyhow??

BTW, digital images can be embedded with what is called a "digimark" and they can be tracked....i have never done this to my art yet, but a company I work for does this on the digital s****booking kits and it is really cool. If they find their images pirated somewhere, they can prove it was theirs by the digimark.
                              still working on website!

Comment

• smitone
                                Sergeant

• Jul 2006

I don't know I might have imagined it but when I tried to copy some pictures once, I found some slide shows where you couldn't copy the images themselves. Sometime they were moving slowly across the screen or appearing,fading and replaced by next one. Obviously you can printscreen but you will need a lot of fiddling for anyone to be able to use any picture. I don't know which program was used I am a novice, but they are beautiful brains out there they will know better. we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X