• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • headlands
    Sergeant

• May 2006

Re: Andy 128 please help!

Andy,

Need your guidance. I followed your instructions on creating sub folders within public_html to the letter. Great stuff! Then published my pages into the designated folder.

However, when i type in my webpage address, instead of seeing my webpage, i see a list of the files within it. I know i have done something incorrect, but cant figure out what.

So, temporarily i have deleted them an uploaded directly, but would like to better organize under your plan.

Please let me know how to correct the situation.

Cheers,
    Robert
  • VodaHost
    General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Do you have a index page in your sub folder? Every new directory requires a index page to default to.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• headlands
      Sergeant

• May 2006

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what you mean, "index page in my subfolder".

I created subfolders for each page as i mentioned, including the index page. Do you mean I need to include an 'index page' within each sub folder?

Thanks,
      Robert

Comment

• Sarah
        Colonel

• May 2005

Yes, every folder in your account needs an index page, so if you create a folder called contact, you will need an index page in there for it to work.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• headlands
          Sergeant

• May 2006

Hi Sarah,

One further clarification...do i only need the 'index page.html' without the other elements (gifs, jpegs etc) that comprise the index page?

Thanks,
          Robert

Comment

• Andy128
            Major General

• Dec 2005

Robert-
            Just to clarify. If you created simply folders to organize you work- you do not need an index page in each folder. If you create a sub-domain- then you would need the index page.

So, if you create a folder (lets call it -contact folder) to hold your "contact.html" page to keep your public_html folder organized, then you would link to that page like so;
            Network Solutions - Original domain name registration and reservation services with variety of internet-related business offerings. Quick, dependable and reliable.

(make sure that you type any words that are seperated with a space with an underscore between them- contact_folder)

And so on ...............

A subdomain acts just like your regular website domain name in that- they are designed to automatically call up the index page. Your home page - the one that is pulled up when someone types in headlandsgroup.net is called simply- index.html Because of the properties and instructions on the server, when some one types in your domain it serves up the index page. The same rule (instructions) apply to sub-domains.

Simple folders are not afforded this rule (instruction) from the server.

I hope that clarifys the issue for you.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• VodaHost
              General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by headlands
              Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what you mean, "index page in my subfolder".

I created subfolders for each page as i mentioned, including the index page. Do you mean I need to include an 'index page' within each sub folder?

Thanks,
              Robert
              Why would you create a sub folder for each page????? This is wrong.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• headlands
                Sergeant

• May 2006

Hello,

Thanks for your input.

I created a folder with public_html for each page in case i wanted to delete one page and its contents. Given the way pages are published to public_html, its impossible to know what elements to delete for a given page.

If you have a better solution or better method, please give me the step by step instructions on how to do.

Cheers,
                Robert

Comment

• Andy128
                  Major General

• Dec 2005

Good morning *****,

I did not tell him to "create a folder for each page". I suggested that in an effort to keep the public_html folder organized, one could create folders to house pages or sections of ones site. This is quite common practice. Forgive me if I was not clear. Robert, it appears, has created a folder to house each page. This is not "wrong" but simply another way of doing something that helps him organize his site and work. (For a small site, Roberts method might work, but would not work so well in a site with many many pages)

Now, if this method has an adverse effect with respect to the manner in which search engine bots discover and catalog pages and info- then please let me know.

Cheers,

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Working...
                  X