Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macbook Pro - iWeb 1.1 - How Can I Upload to Vodahost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macbook Pro - iWeb 1.1 - How Can I Upload to Vodahost?

Hi there

I've just bought a Macbook Pro, running iWeb 1.1. I've designed a basic website on it and selected, "Publish to Folder". I now have a folder on my desktop with all of the info in it. There's a lot of info in there though, and I've really no idea what it all is.

I have a Vodahost account, and have the domain name: djs4professionals.com registered with Vodahost. I have the equivalent .co.uk web address registered elsewhere.

I'm afraid this is a 'walk me through it' kind of post, but I hope it might be useful to any newbies who are using a Mac (especially if they are kind of new to the Mac).

Several issues arise:

1. The website I have designed is not www.djs4professionals.com but is actually a property-related website. I have registered the www.myscottishproperty.com and co.uk web addresses.

Question is: can I create another account within Vodahost (i.e. can I run this www.myscottishproperty.com website on the same hosting package as djs4professionals.com?). If so, how?!

2. Even if that is possible, how do I upload the data from the folder on my desktop (which iWeb has created by itself) onto Vodahost?

I've watched the tutorials, but sadly am completely cross-eyed and no further forward.

If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful as I'm slowly losing the will to live here!

With best regards to the Forum community,

Robert.

Re: Macbook Pro - iWeb 1.1 - How Can I Upload to Vodahost?

Originally posted by Robert Carroll
    Hi there

I've just bought a Macbook Pro, running iWeb 1.1. I've designed a basic website on it and selected, "Publish to Folder". I now have a folder on my desktop with all of the info in it. There's a lot of info in there though, and I've really no idea what it all is.

I have a Vodahost account, and have the domain name: djs4professionals.com registered with Vodahost. I have the equivalent .co.uk web address registered elsewhere.

I'm afraid this is a 'walk me through it' kind of post, but I hope it might be useful to any newbies who are using a Mac (especially if they are kind of new to the Mac).

Several issues arise:

1. The website I have designed is not www.djs4professionals.com but is actually a property-related website. I have registered the www.myscottishproperty.com and co.uk web addresses.

Question is: can I create another account within Vodahost (i.e. can I run this www.myscottishproperty.com website on the same hosting package as djs4professionals.com?). If so, how?!

You can simply go to your comtrol panel and add myscottishproperty as an 'add-on' domain of your main one. Publish to public.html/myscottishproperty

2. Even if that is possible, how do I upload the data from the folder on my desktop (which iWeb has created by itself) onto Vodahost?

I don't understand this - is the folder on your desktop a set of webpages? If you want to use BV then >file>open>new>import html otherwise FTP the pages to your site using control panel or BlueFTP.

I've watched the tutorials, but sadly am completely cross-eyed and no further forward.

If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful as I'm slowly losing the will to live here!

With best regards to the Forum community,

Robert.
    I hope this helps.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi there!

Thank you for your reply, Girl on the Hill!

What happens with iWeb is that you select, "Publish to Folder" from the "File" menu. This creates a folder on your desktop which contains, as you suggested, a number of webpages.

I've downloaded Cyberduck and have created an add-on domain. I've enlisted the help of one of my far more technically-minded friends (I didn't used to think I was that bad until I started playing about with websites and Macs!) to help.

But we're both concerned that, after creating this add-on domain, users typing www.myscottishproperty.com will still be redirected to a page which, in the address bar, will still say www.djs4professionals.com. Is this what happens, or will the user, typing in www.myscottishproperty.com, see "www.myscottishproperty.com/home", "www.myscottishproperty.com/contact" etc. in the address bar?

Thank you once again so much for your help. It sincerely is much appreciated by this newbie!

With best regards

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Carroll
        Hi there!

Thank you for your reply, Girl on the Hill!

What happens with iWeb is that you select, "Publish to Folder" from the "File" menu. This creates a folder on your desktop which contains, as you suggested, a number of webpages.

I've downloaded Cyberduck and have created an add-on domain. I've enlisted the help of one of my far more technically-minded friends (I didn't used to think I was that bad until I started playing about with websites and Macs!) to help.

But we're both concerned that, after creating this add-on domain, users typing www.myscottishproperty.com will still be redirected to a page which, in the address bar, will still say www.djs4professionals.com. Is this what happens, or will the user, typing in www.myscottishproperty.com, see "www.myscottishproperty.com/home", "www.myscottishproperty.com/contact" etc. in the address bar?

Your new domain, if added as addon domain in the same account will be by all means an independent domain. When people type in their browser address bar www.myscottishproperty.com that's what they will see in their browser top bar.

Since your site builder exports the files in html format in a folder on your computer, you must simply upload these files (ALL OF THEM) in your new domain folder using FTP. Since you use Mac, you will not be able to use Bluevoda and BlueFTP, unless you run some Virtual PC or similar software on your Mac. Anyawy, use your usuall FTP and simply upload the files to the appropriate folder. As Amanda said above, it will probably be called "myscottishproperty" because when you add an addon domain in your Vodahost Control Panel, the wizard by default creates a folder with the same name as the addon domain. So you must publish (upload) your pages in "public_html/myscottishproperty". If your sitebuilder has a "publish" or "Upload" feature, after providing the correct IP, username and password (the ones that Vodahost gave you) it will ask for the folder (in your site) to publish to. Type in "public_html/myscottishproperty"

Please also note that your home page must be called "index", not home. Vodahost servers require the first page to be called so. This is not the page name (which could be f.e. "Myscottishproperty Homepage" but the file name, so your homepage should be saved as "index.html", not "home.html" or "default.html"

Thank you once again so much for your help. It sincerely is much appreciated by this newbie!

With best regards

Robert
        If you need further help post back.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
        X