Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Building a site and lots of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Building a site and lots of questions...

Hi fellow web designers... I'm in need of a few answers to help guide me through this designing process. I'm new here to BlueVoda, however I have already designed a site through a different host.

I have a website (www.georgehester.com) and it's been done and re-done and renovated several times over the last 3 1/2 years that I've had it and it NEVER looked the way I wanted it to. So I decided to take a step in a new direction and look for some designing software that could create a better format, more options and just something more presentable for my personal and business use.

For one thing, I've downloaded and played with about 5 different web designing softwares and my brain just hurts right now. I have a very busy week ahead of me at work so please excuse my lack of "digging" through the forum threads to look for answers. And I understand some might be right in front of my nose, but I just don't have the time I want right now to look for this information.

Anyway, I LOVE this software... it's been a treat to design some pages with ease and to see something that looks 200% better than my old site did within the first 20 minutes of messing around with it... makes me wish I had all that time back that I spent fixing up my site the "old" way. I'm used to working strictly with HTML, so this WYSIWYG technique is the bomb!

So, here come the questions...

I plan to transfer my domain name to VodaHost and use the same addy. (I think that's what that means). And in doing so, I will likely cancel my other membership. As a result, I will have to download all of the pictures and files I have stored on that server to my comp and to transfer again to the new server.

My first question... what is the "max total upload" to the server. My old server allowed up to 5MB to be uploaded at one time. Which kind of stunk, considering I had a few things that were much larger that I wanted to upload.

As I sit here playing with the software, I noticed that after creating several picture galleries here (without having it published yet) that all of the paths to the pictures and files are to my computer. Does this mean that once the pages are published, I have to start all over and re-do the picture galleries to point to someplace on the VodaHost server??

Next, I'm quite confused about the billing and how that works. I see that there are options here... monthly, annual and tri-annual. Obviously you're trying to get a deal out of the longer commitments.... but do I still need to pay for a .com domain if I already have one that I'm transferring?? That's probably a dumb question, because the site says "$19.95 annually"... but I thought I'd ask anyway.

What is a "dedicated IP"?? I'm clueless about that stuff.

And a lot of this stuff (to order) says "$30 set up"... I'm really lost and unsure of how much money exactly this is going to cost me. I do see the "works out to $x.xx per month" but I don't understand this set up fee... and if that's something that gets billed once and right away or if it is $30 plus the $x.xx for the first month and $x.xx every month afterwards... Can someone please clear this whole "billing" cycle up for me?? (a list of all the basic options would be appreciated... WITHOUT the fine print... please).

Another problem is that I read that there's this "high rate of credit card fraud" etc when transferring accounts and that is says to NOT continue unless I have a working landline (Telephone). Well, I have a number associated with my billing address, but that's in a different state because I go to school far from my home home, and I do have a cell phone but it's not on record with my billing. The apartment I live at does NOT have a land line and I have no desire to hook one up just for teh sake of transferring a domain name.

So, does anyone know if I actually have to own a land line just to transfer my domain?? I'd be quite upset if that were the case because it's 2006 and I don't remember a time in this century that I've had a land line... but that's just me. :)

I'm sorry that this thread jumps around a bit. I just don't have the time to sift through everything and look for the answers I need. I know some might be right in front of me and I do understand proper forum etiquette, where I should try "searching" through it all before I ask 20 questions... well, in this case I just wasn't able to find specific enough questions and I have to wrap this up and get back to my career work.

Thanks in advance to anyone out there that can help. I would appreciate detailed answers (if you can) and you can e-mail me or respond here. my email is mello2198ATyahoo.com
    George
    www.virtuosocreative.com

Re: Help! Building a site and lots of questions...

So, here come the questions...

I plan to transfer my domain name to VodaHost and use the same addy. (I think that's what that means). And in doing so, I will likely cancel my other membership. As a result, I will have to download all of the pictures and files I have stored on that server to my comp and to transfer again to the new server.

My first question... what is the "max total upload" to the server. My old server allowed up to 5MB to be uploaded at one time. Which kind of stunk, considering I had a few things that were much larger that I wanted to upload.

Our servers are connected to the internet at the rate of 100 MB per
    second. You have two choices....

1) You can import your current website into BlueVoda by using the
    import HTML Function, this will import your pages one at a time
    directly into BV one at a time.

2)You can do a direct server to server transfer via ws_ftp, its fast
    and painless

As I sit here playing with the software, I noticed that after creating several picture galleries here (without having it published yet) that all of the paths to the pictures and files are to my computer. Does this mean that once the pages are published, I have to start all over and re-do the picture galleries to point to someplace on the VodaHost server??

When you installed BV it created a folder in your my douments called
    "BlueVoda", and inside this folder it created another folder called"images",
    all pics are saved in the images folder, when you
    publish the page they will be auto drawn from this folder.

Next, I'm quite confused about the billing and how that works. I see that there are options here... monthly, annual and tri-annual. Obviously you're trying to get a deal out of the longer commitments.... but do I still need to pay for a .com domain if I already have one that I'm transferring?? That's probably a dumb question, because the site says "$19.95 annually"... but I thought I'd ask anyway.

We offer free transfer for all new accounts, we will take care of the
    doamin name issue for you.

What is a "dedicated IP"?? I'm clueless about that stuff.

If you do not know what it is, you do not need it.

And a lot of this stuff (to order) says "$30 set up"... I'm really lost and unsure of how much money exactly this is going to cost me. I do see the "works out to $x.xx per month" but I don't understand this set up fee... and if that's something that gets billed once and right away or if it is $30 plus the $x.xx for the first month and $x.xx every month afterwards... Can someone please clear this whole "billing" cycle up for me?? (a list of all the basic options would be appreciated... WITHOUT the fine print... please).

We only have one package and 3 diffrent ways to pay for it. Only the
    monthly paln has a set up fee. Click the bleo for a full list of features
    including pricings..

http://www.vodahost.com/features.htm

Another problem is that I read that there's this "high rate of credit card fraud" etc when transferring accounts and that is says to NOT continue unless I have a working landline (Telephone). Well, I have a number associated with my billing address, but that's in a different state because I go to school far from my home home, and I do have a cell phone but it's not on record with my billing. The apartment I live at does NOT have a land line and I have no desire to hook one up just for teh sake of transferring a domain name.

Don't worry about, Just sign up and if we think your order is dodgy we
    will give you a call on your cell phone.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to ask a question or just reply, but here goes. Got a new computer and saved my pictures that was in a folder (don't think it was in BV folder). On the new computer, I downloaded the newer version of BV. When I'm in BV, I pull up images and on the bottom I have to type "All files" to get the pictures. Then, when I click on the picture a box pops up that says "Unexpected file format". How can I get the same pics into the blue voda images file???. I can easily open the pics outside of BV. These were the images I had in my website and I since downloading the BV on new computer when I open the pages all the pictures just show up as box with red x in it. I don't want to have to change my whole website just to get back into it. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Please note that when you install BV in another computer, and transfer there the files from the old one, the path to the images is no longer the same. So you need to re-establish the correct path to the images.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Ok, so if the pictures are just in a folder, how do I get them into the BV images folder....or what else do I need to do?

Comment

You need to double click each one and insert it again in your page from where you have saved them.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
            X