• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bitznbats
    Sergeant Major

• May 2006

HELP!!! - What have I done!!

Hi

Sorry to be in a bit of a flap but I've followed the instruction videos and done everything as I thought and had to and well take a look and tell me what went so spectacularly wrong!!!

www.silver-maple.ca
    www.silver-maple.ca Lakeside camping in beautiful Northern Ontario
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: HELP!!! - What have I done!!

You must save and publish your first page (the homepage) as "index"
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Andy128
      Major General

• Dec 2005

Easy fix. Pull up your index page and re-save as - index

Currently you have it saved with a capital "I"

Save and publish and all should be well.

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• bitznbats
        Sergeant Major

• May 2006

So will putting a capital letter affect all my pages???

Comment

• bitznbats
          Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Ok another question why aren't any of my pics showing?

Comment

• Andy128
            Major General

• Dec 2005

No- only the "index" page is case sensitive. The rest of the pages you can save as you like. Just remember- you must always reference them the way you spell it. For instance: page2 Page2 PAGE2 While you can name them this way- you must link them identically.

Pictures- well it is hard to tell why they are not showing up. Ordinarily they are shipped during the publish process. Take each picture for the index page and upload it to the public_html folder and see if they don't connect up when the page is loaded.

When you add a picture to a page- that picture is kept in a folder called
            Images on your computer. It is automatically added there. If you move or delete this folder- during publishing, it will not be able to reach in there and take the pictures to the server as needed. Make sure that folder is in tact, where it was originally and that the pictures you put on the page are in there.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• bitznbats
              Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Originally posted by Andy128
              Take each picture for the index page and upload it to the public_html folder and see if they don't connect up when the page is loaded.
              Andy
              Sorry to sound really dumb but how do I do that?

Comment

• Andy128
                Major General

• Dec 2005

No worries-

Find the folder that you have the picture in. Open the FTP Manager and click on connect in the upper left. Once connected - you will see all the files on your computer on the left and the files on the server on the right.
                Navigate to the folder that has the picture on the left. Click on it to high-light it blue. Then go to the top and click "Copy-to" and it will move the picture file from your computer to the server.

You would do this to move any file (music, movie, document) that you
                wish to have on your web page and link to.

Hope that helps.

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• bitznbats
                  Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Oh thanks!! - you guys are awesome!!

Comment

• bitznbats
                    Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Almost there - final point. In the top right hand corner I had a silver coloured box (I used the BV fill option thing) but it has replaced it with a stretched history tag why??? Oh yeah and only one of my links is working

Comment

• Andy128
                      Major General

• Dec 2005

Delete the box thing- use the shape and then try the gradient fill (IF that is what you are talking about).

As to the links- Did you publish each page? The links will not work if the pages are not published. If so- Make sure the links are spelled exactly as the pages were saved. For example- Camp_grounds or campgrounds?
                      If you have two words as a page title make sure to put the under-score between them.

Andy
                      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• ez-ez
                        Special Status

• Mar 2006

First.. that silver image on the left hand corner looks like a button that has been resized.. ie, stetched down.. I suggest going back into the page and looking for it and deleting it.. It seems to me that it is sitting underneath the 'welcome' Text.

Secondly.. check to see if the menu buttons are linked to the right page URL.. I see that the pages are uploaded into the public_html folder,which is fine, unless ofcourse you created folders for each section and uploaded the pages into those folders.. and thats why the pages cannot be found on the public_html folder. The other possibility is that you uploaded the pages into a folder other than the public_html. To trouble shoot, I suggest going back and making sure that all of those pages are uploaded into the public_html folder.

See what you can find..

Comment

• bitznbats
                          Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Originally posted by Andy128
                          Delete the box thing- use the shape and then try the gradient fill (IF that is what you are talking about).

As to the links- Did you publish each page? The links will not work if the pages are not published. If so- Make sure the links are spelled exactly as the pages were saved. For example- Camp_grounds or campgrounds?
                          If you have two words as a page title make sure to put the under-score between them.

Andy
                          I did use the shape and gradient fill so I don't know why it did this.

Not all of the pages are published but the maps are, fishing pages etc and they don't show

Comment

• Andy128
                            Major General

• Dec 2005

You linked wrong. You used "map" where as you page is "Map" with a capital "M".

Make sure with your spelling and everything should come together.

It's looking really good!

Andy
                            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• bitznbats
                              Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Oh darn I didn't think in mattered about capitals. Anyway another teething problem - I refreshed the page and the box thing had sorted itself out but now my history link button has dissapeared (I swear dispite one of the earlier post I haven't touched it - I hadn't even figured out how to touch it!! ). Thanks for your patients and I promise I will start learning soon!!

Comment

Working...
                              X