• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardjamesh
    Second Lieutenant

• May 2006

target _blank

Hi all, just a quick opinion poll really.

Had an interesting post from Andy on another thread about the use of target _blank on my site.

I am having second thoughts now on whether to use this or not and wondered what people's opinions are on it?

For a site like mine: http://www.theworldwidestory.com/ with alot of external linking going on, I just wondered what people's thoughts are about me using it or not?

Do people generally prefer to back button/ back mouse button click a link or do they prefer to see the external link open up in the same browser?

Advice and suggestions welcomed.

Rich
  • Girlonthehill
    General

• Oct 2005

Re: target _blank

Personally speaking - I would prefer an external link to open in another browser window so that I can quickly click back to your site and close off the new window. I use tabbed browsing and I much prefer this way - I can easily see where I am and what I'm up to. I find using the 'back' button frustrating especially when there are a few pages to move back through.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• racefan20
      Major General

• Jul 2005

I hate it when I click on a link and it takes me completely out of the site I was originally viewing.
      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

My Turn!

Whenever possible, allow visitors the opportunity of having new windows open according to their election. As mentioned above (from some of our most experienced and trusted leaders), practical use of the "back" button is not only frustrating, but archaic nowadays....whether you have a true commerce site, or in your case a multiple function/single theme site, allowing the Main/Home Page to always be there after visitors close interest-driven windows not only allows you the "marketing exposure" that was first pointed to as the reason 'way-back-when', it simply becomes every visitor's anchor, a definitive reference point and thus an emerging trusted destination.....

Again....not all sites can accomodate this "utility" nor will every design present cleanly.....it forces the webmaster to truly plan and execute a site with complete continuity and clarity a priority from the very beginning. It is completely a drag to reverse engineer a site to implement technical elements not core to the design!

Thanks! I wrote my "novelette' of the week!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• richardjamesh
          Second Lieutenant

• May 2006

Thanks for contributions people!

Have made use of _blank on homepage.

Cheers

Rich

Comment

• Bethers
            Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

I do not use target=blank for any window WITHIN my own site. People can always opt to open those windows in new browser windows on their own. However, it is considered rude to have your own site open in multiple windows.

However, for advertisements or pages off-site, I do use target=blank - as this leads customers away from me and I want them to come back! But, the question is going to be - how many advertisements are we talking? If you are going to have many many links leading away, that might be annoying. But, people will learn what it's about and decide on their own if they want to do it.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Watdaflip
              Major General

• Sep 2005

I also open everything in a tab. But if your talking about the difference between having to click an X or click the back button I don't do either. Im much too lazy to drag my mouse around I either alt+f4 or alt+left arrow....

And like bethers said having your own website open in a new window can be considered rude, or atleast annoying. The only time this should be done is if you are using a script such as a forum, where unless you have the knowledge to edit it to have a link back to your homepage, this way users don't have to click a few thousand back buttons.

Register/Login Script
              Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• Andy128
                Major General

• Dec 2005

One other mention. If you link in the same window and your customer is taken to another site and then perhaps there is an interesting link in that persons page or site and your original customer, out of curiosity checks it out, - now they are completely out of your site with no way back except the back button. Have you ever been to a site where the back button is disabled? ARGGGGH!

So my theory was to use the _blank so that if this did occur- one could always "X" out and still find themselves on your page. Seeings how your business proposal will undoubtedly create links upon links upon links---but, your page would always remain in the background. Anyway- that was my complete thought process on it anyway.

Cheers all,

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• richardjamesh
                  Second Lieutenant

• May 2006

Thanks again Andy, advice taken.

Comment

Working...
                  X