• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darrell
    Members

• Jun 2005

External hard drive

I have a question if i was to purchase an external hard drive and start a new site,on my desktop and save all my file in the external,could i use this on any computer
    just take the hard drive with me and plug my laptop in it
  • limebrook1
    Brigadier General

• Jun 2005

Re: External hard drive

As long as BV is loaded on the computer you want to edit it with there should be no problem.
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

• royb
      Major General

• Mar 2006

Hi Darrell
      I use an external hard drive for DJ ing and karaoke. I have the same programs installed on my PC and my laptop and take the laptop and external drive, which has my records on it, out on gigs. In other words the answer is yes.

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
      royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

• Watdaflip
        Major General

• Sep 2005

Ive never used an external hard drive but I would assume it needs a driver. I know ive tried using a USB device on an older computer and it didn't have the device in the driver list, and I had to download the driver which was a pain because I had to try like 4 different ones

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I keep everything on externals since I've had to replace internals more than once, losing an incredible amount of data....

Trish is correct in telling you that Programs need to be loaded on your unit, but the files can be stored on externals. For true seamless operations, I would recommend that you also have a BV file on the PC in My Documents, for instance, and merely get into the habit of copying/overwriting the folder stored in the external.
          Do not utilize the 'backup' features that come with every external.....just use it as a transportable filing cabinet, an extra drive.....
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign
            General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Please allow me: BV occupies two different areas in your computer: a section in the Programs folder in your computer, and another part, under "Documents", in a folder called "Bluevoda". The software section doesn't need any "synchronizing", once you have downloaded and installed BV on more than one computers, both will work properly.
            But the "Bluevoda" folder, contains not only your .bvp files, but also the images that BV saves in the "Images" folder as well as your original images which may be in different folders and not in the Bluevoda folder. That's excactly where the problem might arise. You see, if you reload a page in your second computer, it will search for the images in the original path used in the first computer. If the two computers don't have the excactly same directory structure, it won't find the images.
            To prevent this from happening, there is a simple way: create a subfolder of the Bluevoda folder, f.e. "Myimages" and always save the original images in it (even though they might originaly be in another folder, outside the BlueVoda folder) . This way, you should only transfer the entire Bluevoda folder from your first computer to the external hard drive. Then you transfer the folder to your laptop, and work with your pages. After you are done, replace again the hard drive "Bluevoda" folder, with the updated one, that you have on your laptop. Then, again on your desktop, replace the Bluevoda folder, with the one you have on your external drive, so your desktop will be updated with all the work that you have done on your laptop.

In fact the whole procedure is much more simpler than it might seem from the above description. I do it all the time, and not only for BV, but for all my work (Autocad, 3D modelling software, word files etc.)

There is only one thing outside the Bluevoda folder that you might also need to transfer between computers: if you create buttons of your own, and save them in the Programs/bluevodawebsitebuilder image library, you will need to save the button images also in your laptop. But this is only done once for every new button image.

An alternative to the above, would be to transfer the entire Bluevoda folder in your site, in a folder called f.e. "masterfiles" so the files will be available online from any computer that has an Internet connection. I use this method both for my site files, as well as for my professional drawings, so they are available to my clients from anywhere in the world.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• ash.whitehair
              Sergeant Major

• May 2006

Navel, can you tell me a bit more about creating that 'Masterfile' thing? e.g. how to do it etc
              Ash Whitehair

Comment

• navaldesign
                General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

?

Just create a folder in your site, under public_html. Call it "masterfiles" or you can even call it "bluevoda", so it will reflect excactly your computer "bluevoda" folder. Transfer there all the content of your vlueoda folder. Everytime you update a page, you must ftp the .bvp file to your site, as well as the eventual new images used. Next time that you want to work with that page from another computer, just download the page file and the relevan images and you are ready to go. After done, upload again the new .bvp file and any other new image to your site again, so they will be available in the future from any other workstation.
                Navaldesign
                Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I bow to your technical expertise, General....(again)

I thought I said the same thing, albeit much simpler and without the walk-through.
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• davidundalicia
                    General

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by navaldesign
                    ?

Just create a folder in your site, under public_html. Call it "masterfiles" or you can even call it "bluevoda", so it will reflect excactly your computer "bluevoda" folder. Transfer there all the content of your vlueoda folder. Everytime you update a page, you must ftp the .bvp file to your site, as well as the eventual new images used. Next time that you want to work with that page from another computer, just download the page file and the relevan images and you are ready to go. After done, upload again the new .bvp file and any other new image to your site again, so they will be available in the future from any other workstation.
                    Naval that is true backup saving Tip and one I intend to use....thanks
                    Have fun
                    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                    Newbies / Beginners Forum
                    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Working...
                    X