• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TLS
    Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

2 Questions from a Newbie!

I am going to be starting a SECOND website either tonight or tomorrow. My first question is: How or what do you do in terms of the URL for a second site? Where do you put it for one thing? The site I want to do now has to do with a condition called Hydrocephalus. I think I'm going to title the Index page.... "Living with Hydrocephalus" My first website link or URL for visitors is: www.terrilynnspencer.com As far as this other hydrocephalus website should I have the URL be: www.terrilynnspencer.com/hydro.html? Where would this URL be put when making this page? On the index page?

Also, I found a website where a person can create their own buttons for a site. Can this be done? If so, I'm assuming it would be considered an image?

I hope I'm making some sence at least with the first question. I don't even want to start creating the hydrocephalus website at all until that first part of questions is answered.

Thanks for any help you can give in advance!

Terri

www.terrilynnspencer.com First site I've ever created
  • davidundalicia
    General

• Mar 2006

Re: 2 Questions from a Newbie!

Hi Terri:
    example: Go to your Cpanel (sub directories)
    1) create a sub directory called hydrocephalus
    (can be called what you like)

create an index page and publish to public_html/hydrocephalus

Your url of this second site will then be:

All other pages for http://hydrocephalus.terrilynnspencer.com
    should then be published to public_html/hydrocephalus

Dont forget to change back to Public_html if you then wish to publish any pages to your first site.

2) yes you can create buttons by using the image box

have fun
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Hey, David General Sir!

Mind taking a look in "Forums" > "Can Sub-Domain Forum Be Protected AND Ranked?"
      (I have a feeling it will require the "Moderator/General's Handbook" to answer this one....)
      Thanks
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

A small correction in David's post: when you go in your CP, do NOT create a subfolder, but a SUBDOMAIN called "hydrocephalus". At least if you want the new site to be accessible as http://hydrocephalus.terrilynnspencer.com

The subdomain creation will automatically create the subfolder where you need to publish your pages. Remember, if you want it to work as an independent site, you will need your first page of the new site to be called "index".

Of course, another option would be to purchase the domain www.hydrocephalus.com or .org. or .net or .info or whatever, if they are available, and to add it as addon domain in your account.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• TLS
          Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

So as far as the control panel, do I go in "File Manager" and click "create new folder" and type "hydrocepahalus?" How does one make sure it is a SUBDOMAIN name instead of a sub directory? How does a person create a subdomain name? Sorry for all the questions... I'm really new at this!

Also do you create the subdomain folder before starting to create the index page for the hydrocpehalus site? I want this site to be totally independant from my other site.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Terri

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

No, in CP go in SUBDOMAINS. In the first field at the left type in "hydrocephalus". Click "Add". The wizard will create the subfolder for you.
            If you use BV, then creating the index page is totally independent from creating the subdomain, because the index page is on your computer, not on your site. After you have created the subdomain, you need to publish that index page in that subdomain. To do so, you must publish using the same IP address, username and password as for your main account, but in the Folder field you must type " public_html/hydrocephalus ".
            This way the new site will be accessible by typing http://hydrocephalus.terrilynnspencer.com in the IE address bar.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• TLS
              Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

So when I go to publish pages for they hydrocephalus site then I would need to go to the file manager area to find a new folder that was created "or need to create one" that says: "public_html/hydrocpehalus? I guess that part is a bit confusing. I already went to the SUBDOMAIN are of the control panel and typed "hydrocpehalus" on the left and clicked "Add." I guess for now, there is nothing more I need to do until I actually start publishing the web pages?

Sorry for all the questions. I guess I need things explained in "step-by-step" detail because I am dyslexic.

Thanks for your help!

Terri

Comment

• Girlonthehill
                General

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by TLS
                So when I go to publish pages for they hydrocephalus site where would I find this "folder field" you are referring to? Is it in the Subdomain section of the control panel? After I actually start publishing the pages, I would then need to go to the control panel and the subdomain section to see if it got published in the correct area?
                Hi!
                You publish to public.html/hydrocephalus

Yes you can check there or just type in the url of the published page (into the browser bar) to check.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• davidundalicia
                  General

• Mar 2006

TLS:
                  When you first published your pages for your 1st site
                  you clicked on publish and a box comes up.....

At the bottom of this box it normally shows.....public_html

Now when you wish to publish to your daughter site( hydrocephalus)
                  you simply ADD to public_html/ hydrocephalus

If you have already set up your sub Domain, as instructed by navel, the rest
                  should be easy....

Thanks Naval, I regret the previous error(must have been tired)
                  Have fun
                  Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                  Newbies / Beginners Forum
                  FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                  My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                  Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• TLS
                    Sergeant Major

• Jul 2006

Hello Navel, David and Amanda,

Thanks for all of your help! I think I understand it now. At least I hope so! I'll go to the File Manager in the Control Panel too and create a folder called "public_html/hydrocephalus." I just hope that is correct?

Terri

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

No, you should go in CP and create a subdomain called 2hydrocephalus". This will by default create also a subfolder called "hydrocephalus". You simply publish in "public_html/hydrocephalus" .
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                      X