• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendonjohnliew
    Sergeant

• Jun 2006

What Kind Of website is this?

Hi, I'd like to set up a website similar to this, to start my own online soccer prediction competition. But as I'm a newbie to website building, I like some input from the more experienced webmasters here.

1) What kind of scripts do I have to embed into this type of website (eg. php, java?
    2) What kind of database am I looking at (to store info about a participant's prediction/betting history )?
    3) How do I go about setting up the site whereby anyone who's interested in joining has to fill in a form with their own selected username and password?
    3) Can this type of website be set up using Bluevoda?
    4) If I outsource the job of building this website out, (eg. elance, vodabids, etc), what is the approximate price?
    5) As I expect the number of players/participants to be about 15,000, is it better for me to get dedicated server hosting (as the database of prediction history alone would take up a substantial chunk of space)?

Sorry if my questions seem kinda of silly....
    Thanks in advance.

Brendon John Liew
    http://www.fatlossmasterclass.com
  • bill2006
    Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Re: What Kind Of website is this?

Have you seen the tutorials ?
    Video tutorials about how to create an amazing website with the BlueVoda website builder, brought to you by VodaHost web hosting.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• brendonjohnliew
      Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Yeah, been through the tutorials several times. But doesn't quite teach me what I need to know about building websites of this genre.

Originally posted by bill2006
      Have you seen the tutorials ?
      http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm

Comment

• racefan20
        Major General

• Jul 2005

Do a search on hotscripts.com for sports or fantasy leagues, that should find you a couple sources.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

• Jeremy
          Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Dear Brendon,

No your questions are not silly at all, you are very smart asking these questions before purchasing anything at the moment. The way you are also describing your site requirements/questions would require alot of work, and depending what country you live in, you might not be able to own your own bidding site since there might be regulations againts it since it is resembled to gambling. You will also have to have very strict rules including age and other things.

You can visit my website below if you want to talk more.
          Best regards,
          Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

• navaldesign
            General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Follow Racafan's advice.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Brendon-
              Although you are in Singapore (where these kinds of sites are legal and numerous - AsianBookie.com is HK based) VodaHost may not be able to support such a site, for as an American-based company, certain provisions of the Patriot Act or other laws may prevent them from hosting a "gambling" or "chance" website. This, as far as I am aware, is why these websites are hosted "offshore."

General VodaHost or another VodaHost staff member are the ones to address this issue officially, but I thought I'd mention it as a precautionary discussion point before you went out and constructed a site prior to knowing for sure!
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• VodaHost
                General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

AsianBookie.com, does not actually take any bets, so it is acceptable, it is
                a very clever site that provides tons of useful content to gamblers and it has
                affiliate and advertsing links to gambling sites.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by VodaHost
                  AsianBookie.com, does not actually take any bets, so it is acceptable, it is
                  a very clever site that provides tons of useful content to gamblers and it has
                  affiliate and advertsing links to gambling sites.
                  I appreciate your quick clarification and unfailing support!
                  I still get the feeling as if I am supposed to stay after school to clean the chalkboards, though! LOL

Comment

• brendonjohnliew
                    Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Well, thanks for everyone's helpful input, although I must say, my initial questions weren't quite answered. Anyway, ambitious as I am, I realise I still don't have the technical expertise to build this website on my own, no matter how hard I try to attempt to understand and use the various programming scripts required. As such, I've decided to outsource this project to Elance.
                    The problem now is, how do I even begin to describe this project to would-be bidders in Elance, or Vodabids? Just saying " I want to build a website like Asianbookie.com" isn't going to very helpful, ain't it? Programmers need some concrete ideas and descriptions before they can fathom the extent of the job right?

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

You can still try your hand at this, Brendon!
                      You can do something quite spectacular using a simple shopping cart that is included FREE in every VodaHost account, especially with Soholaunch....

The cost to have a customized Template made (really customized, not just tweaked) should be under $100 for example, if you use VH's recommended partner TemplateZapper.com (as I did). These guys know Soho inside and out, and should even be able to install some (if not most) of the scripting you need to get the results you envision. Inquiring is the only way to find out.

Try prodding through the "free" templates offered through VH, and then take a look at what I designed from scratch (including a dynamic menu - there are soooo many styles it boggles the mind) all for under $75. My site is by no means even 20% complete, as I am still writing down the schematics to implement. I think you will get the idea using this solution might be entirely viable for you.

Just encouraging you to try!

Comment

• VodaHost
                        General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Plan Your Work!

Originally posted by brendonjohnliew
                        I must say, my initial questions weren't quite answered
                        I suggest you write out an A-Z game plan of exactly what you want, with all the features and functionality you want. Only then can you give us or anybody a full and
                        proper understanding of your project.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• brendonjohnliew
                          Sergeant

• Jun 2006

Thanks man, I really appreciate your encouragement! Guess I've got to try to see this project to fruition, no matter what!
                          Ok, what I've gathered from searching around in Google thus far, is that for a Soccer Fantasy League, I would need a perl script.
                          Supposing I do manage to obtain the correct perl script, how would I install it into my webpages in Vodahost?
                          Also, what would i need to do to have people sign up for my website by registering their personal particulars, and then choosing a username and password of their own? I would like to enable them to log into their account whenever they go to my site.

Anyway, a Big Thank You for all who have and supported me so far in this mission of mine!

Originally posted by Vasili
                          You can still try your hand at this, Brendon!
                          You can do something quite spectacular using a simple shopping cart that is included FREE in every VodaHost account, especially with Soholaunch....

The cost to have a customized Template made (really customized, not just tweaked) should be under $100 for example, if you use VH's recommended partner TemplateZapper.com (as I did). These guys know Soho inside and out, and should even be able to install some (if not most) of the scripting you need to get the results you envision. Inquiring is the only way to find out.

Try prodding through the "free" templates offered through VH, and then take a look at what I designed from scratch (including a dynamic menu - there are soooo many styles it boggles the mind) all for under $75. My site is by no means even 20% complete, as I am still writing down the schematics to implement. I think you will get the idea using this solution might be entirely viable for you.

Just encouraging you to try!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by brendonjohnliew
                            Ok, what I've gathered from searching around in Google thus far, is that for a Soccer Fantasy League, I would need a perl script.
                            Supposing I do manage to obtain the correct perl script, how would I install it into my webpages in Vodahost?
                            Perl is included as a FREE utility in every VodaHost account: http://www.vodahost.com/features.htm

Installing a script is something you can easily do yourself (provided you follow the included instructions!).

Comment

Working...
                            X